Talk with a Hovatek Engineer/Developer. Start Now

Learn Mediatek Software Repairs Online! Enroll

MT8163 Android Navigation Tablet

Thank you for reaching out for support. Due to high demand, our free support services may experience some delays in response time. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Alternatively, we offer private support where you can receive dedicated attention and prompt support. These sessions are designed to provide personalized solutions to your specific needs.
If you are interested in scheduling a private session, please visit https://www.hovatek.com/remote

find Reply

Hello Hovatec,
first, thank you for all this incredible work you are doing here: helping dumb users like me getting their devices back, after meddling and bricking....   Blush
Your site has been so far a tremendous source of knowledge for me in my quest of unbricking above mentions device. And I hope for your help now that I am at my wit´s end.
I would be happy if I don´t have to tell my employer that I bricked their device.... Angel

The tablet from Aguri (see aguriworld.com) won´t start any more, but stays in a kind of preboot either with Android screen (prior to recovery) or back light illuminated dark screen. When plugged into PC-USB the device is recognized instantly by Mediatek VCOM Drivers, but is only ever shown as "not connected".

I had no intention of changing ROM or Recovery, the bootloader is still locked. I did root it though with KingoRoot, then disabled several apps. As far as I remember I have not deleted anything but disabled only and I guess that I might have disable a system app. That is why I am rather sure that if I got it into a mode of ADB recognition, things would change immediately when those Apps that I thought were dispensable are reenabled.

I have done a lot of reading and trying, and now and then I do have a second device that I think is identical (navigational fleet equipment). But until now everything has been either a dead end or for me way out of my comfort zone, fearing to do more harm than good. I am asking for ideas and guidance ...
-----
The tablet has ONE button for powering on/off manually. Volume is changed software sided only. On second device I have not found any way of booting into bootloader, not even by ADB. I have not found any other means of booting into recovery then by ADB, but then to stay on screen with green Adroid and red triangle Warning.

Both tablets cannot stay off when charging. And I have no idea how to open it, but I will cross that bridge when I come to it...

Second device scan: adb shell cat /proc/cpuinfo:

Processor : AArch64 Processor rev 3 (aarch64)
processor : 0
BogoMIPS : 26.00
Features : fp asimd aes pmull sha1 sha2 crc32
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: AArch64
CPU variant : 0x0
CPU part : 0xd03
CPU revision : 3
processor : 1
BogoMIPS : 26.00
Features : fp asimd aes pmull sha1 sha2 crc32
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: AArch64
CPU variant : 0x0
CPU part : 0xd03
CPU revision : 3
Hardware : MT8163
----
Second device scan: Android Droid Root and Tools:

Hardware : MT8163
Model : TX720 EU
Build number : TX720 EU 5.1 V1.1 171218
Build date UTC : 20171218-094638
Android  v : 5.1
Baseband v: -----
Kernel v : 3.10.72 (android7@ubuntu730xda) (gcc version 4.9.x-google 20140827 (mtk-20150409) (GCC) ) #1 SMP  Mon Dec 18 15:27:50 CST 2017

eine Datei (/system/recovery-from-boot.p), die das Stock-Recovery im Falle eines normalen Einschaltens des Telefons wiederherstellt, wurde gefunden! f
translates roughly to: a file was found (/system ...), which will restore stock-recovery in case of normal powering on of the phone

I don´t understand the meaning/logic of this, why would something have to be restored if everything was proceeding as usual...? Huh
I have pulled that file and have no idea if it is helpful and if so how
----
My guess is that at some point a scatterfile and Images would be needed and I went into that direction following your tutorials. First ignoring that ADRaT is outdated and incompatible:

Second device scan: ADRaT would read scatter information, but would not export it:
.jpg Scatter_secondDevice.jpg Size: 115.66 KB  Downloads: 4

And it does make me unsure of thing when another scan is showing similar output but shifted in line by 1:

Second device scan: F:\UniversalAdbDriver>adb shell
shell@rmt8163_s_e:/ $ cat proc/emmc
partno: start_sect nr_sects  partition_name
emmc_p1: 00000400 00001800 "proinfo"
emmc_p2: 00001c00 00002800 "nvram"
emmc_p3: 00004400 00005000 "protect1"
emmc_p4: 00009400 00005000 "protect2"
emmc_p5: 0000e400 00018000 "persist"
emmc_p6: 00026400 00000200 "seccfg"
emmc_p7: 00026600 00000300 "lk"
emmc_p8: 00026900 00008000 "boot"
emmc_p9: 0002e900 00008000 "recovery"
emmc_p10: 00036900 00003000 "secro"
emmc_p11: 00039900 00000400 "para"
emmc_p12: 00039d00 00004000 "logo"
emmc_p13: 0003dd00 00005000 "expdb"
emmc_p14: 00042d00 00000800 "frp"
emmc_p15: 00043500 00002800 "tee1"
emmc_p16: 00045d00 00002800 "tee2"
emmc_p17: 00048500 00001000 "kb"
emmc_p18: 00049500 00001000 "dkb"
emmc_p19: 0004a500 00010000 "metadata"
emmc_p20: 0005a500 00005b00 "test"
emmc_p21: 00060000 0029c000 "system"
emmc_p22: 002fc000 000d4000 "cache"
emmc_p23: 003d0000 0190fc00 "userdata"
emmc_p24: 01cdfc00 00008000 "flashinfo"

I have access to an Ubuntu installation, not much know how though. If I wanted to use command dd, don´t those values sort of contradict each other?
And I am wondering: no lines for preloader, mbr and ebr1 like your examples show!    ... not needed? ... or not accessible? Huh
----
I followed your tutorial for Wwr_MTK (second Device):

#########################################__WwR_MTK_2.50__###################################################
#
#  General Setting
#
#########################################__WwR_MTK_2.50__###################################################
- general: MTK_PLATFORM_CFG
  info:
    - config_version: V1.1.2
      platform: MT8163
      project: WwR_Testing
      storage: EMMC
      boot_channel: MSDC_0
      block_size: 0x20000
############################################################################################################
#
#  Layout Setting
#
############################################################################################################
- partition_index: SYS0
  partition_name: PRELOADER
  file_name: preloader.bin
  is_download: true
  type: SV5_BL_BIN
  linear_start_addr: 0x0
  physical_start_addr: 0x0
  partition_size: 0x80000
  region: EMMC_BOOT_1
  storage: HW_STORAGE_EMMC
  boundary_check: true
  is_reserved: false
  operation_type: BOOTLOADERS
  reserve: 0x00

If there IS a preloader, then why is it not listed in above scatter information? Huh
------
Using that file in SP_Flash_Tool_v5.2112:
is first fine:
.jpg DownloadTab.jpg Size: 69.31 KB  Downloads: 6

...and then doesn´t fit anymore:
.jpg ReadBackTab.jpg Size: 42.41 KB  Downloads: 4

I stopped at this point, which brings me to another topic:
In all this reading around and learning I still do find very little assuring information what some commonly use terms really do (only meant in question of my goal, not generally meaning):
"read back": is that only one way? Does ReadBack I ALWAYS read data on device and store it on sdcard/PC etc.; or is there a possibility that I start a ReadBack process  in writing to the device?
same for "download": from where to where? There have been instructions again and again, where I simply didn´t understand if the process meant to write to the device in question or to the connected PC.
If I start a read back process  in SPFlash and connect a device, that I by no means want to risk to brick, is it safe?
I hope I can find some clarification here.
---
Miracle Thunder 2.82: doesn´t work because device won´t communication with it, boots up normally.
unstable comport, virtual comports don´t help
----
This is where I stand, confused... Huh
I hope I have given Information that enable you to point me into some useful direction.
The bricked device is at hand, the second device available only at weekends, if at all.
I look forward to an answer and thank you in advance. Heart
find Reply

Thank you for reaching out for support. Due to high demand, our free support services may experience some delays in response time. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Alternatively, we offer private support where you can receive dedicated attention and prompt support. These sessions are designed to provide personalized solutions to your specific needs.
If you are interested in scheduling a private session, please visit https://www.hovatek.com/remote
find Reply

(19-08-2023, 09:32 PM)lijubu Wrote:  ..
This is where I stand, confused... Huh
I hope I have given Information that enable you to point me into some useful direction.
The bricked device is at hand, the second device available only at weekends, if at all.
I look forward to an answer and thank you in advance. Heart

The way I see it, you don't have that huge a problem.
Your first step should be to backup the bricked phone, this should come before anything else

1. Install VCOM drivers https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-440.html
2. You said your device shows up as Mediatek VCOM Drivers. Update this (by selecting the same driver as step 1) following https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-16839.html
3. Do a full dump of the bricked device https://youtu.be/pj4iFakq33M
4. Once you have the dump, the ONLY partition you will be tinkering with is system but do the backup first

Note: readback / backup only copies the firmware to your PC, it doesn't write to the device
follow that video
find Reply

Hello and thank you for your reply.

and I did not mean to be hasty but not finding even a hint in User Control Panel about my a threat waiting for being approved put me on edge, hence my second try asking about it. I am glad that my worry turned out to be wrong.

And I am delighted   :-)
Quote:Note: readback / backup only copies the firmware to your PC, it doesn't write to the device
this was probably at the moment the most needed information for me to boost confidence.... Idea

I followed directions in driver installation tutorials and my System (Windows 7x64 Pro workstation) does not behave as wanted. Device Manager is not willing to show device or Driver.

Nevertheless, I proceeded with taking the dumps and followed the video to the letter, except taking a full dump and instead leaving out partitions.

Last, I used "Create scatter file" and "Cut Rom as it is".

.jpg WwR_CutRomAsItIs.jpg Size: 55.82 KB  Downloads: 3

There wasn´t enough disk space for userdata but I take it, that it will not be needed? 

How to proceed now, please?
find Reply

(26-08-2023, 04:07 PM)lijubu Wrote:  Hello and thank you for your reply.

and I did not mean to be hasty but not finding even a hint in User Control Panel about my a threat waiting for being approved put me on edge, hence my second try asking about it. I am glad that my worry turned out to be wrong.

And I am delighted   :-)
Quote:Note: readback / backup only copies the firmware to your PC, it doesn't write to the device
this was probably at the moment the most needed information for me to boost confidence.... Idea

I followed directions in driver installation tutorials and my System (Windows 7x64 Pro workstation) does not behave as wanted. Device Manager is not willing to show device or Driver.

Nevertheless, I proceeded with taking the dumps and followed the video to the letter, except taking a full dump and instead leaving out partitions.

Last, I used "Create scatter file" and "Cut Rom as it is".

There wasn´t enough disk space for userdata but I take it, that it will not be needed? 

How to proceed now, please?

Format ONLY userdata and cache with https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-21638.html and try boot up.

If it still doesn't boot, use this tool and boot.img+system.img to unpack system.img. Don't repack yet
https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-20497.html
find Reply

Hello and thank you for your reply.

I repeated the first process and now have a complete dump including userdata.

Quote:Format ONLY userdata and cache with https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-21638.html and try boot up.

This doesn´t seem to make a difference at all. I did it twice and first time appeared a moving android for a second, but still no boot up.

Quote:If it still doesn't boot, use this tool and boot.img+system.img to unpack system.img. Don't repack yet
https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-20497.html

These instructions gave the following output. Hopefully they are as they should be:

.jpg AssayyedKitchenHalfWay.jpg Size: 117.99 KB  Downloads: 2

Note: there is no custom recovery installed as the tutorial says it necessary to be, bootloader is locked.

( * ^ *) ノシ
find Reply

(01-09-2023, 09:26 PM)lijubu Wrote:  These instructions gave the following output. Hopefully they are as they should be:

Note: there is no custom recovery installed as the tutorial says it necessary to be, bootloader is locked.

( * ^ *) ノシ

Try to unlock bootloader with this https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-40300.html
let me know how it goes before we continue with assayyed
find Reply

Good evening,

I will try MTKClient on weekend.

But I already am wondering about entering BRom mode. I have one button only, Power on/off....
So how enter that mode without buttons?

Huh
find Reply

Hello,
I have not been able to make it work.   Sad 

No matter what I do and how:
Connection in power off or on while pressing Power button or not for whatever length of time...
.jpg MTKClientPortHintCycle.jpg Size: 164 KB  Downloads: 2

MTKClient keeps repeating the Port Hint Cycle until Keyboard interruption.

I wanted to try using Linux but never got even far enough in installation.
The designated LiveDVD does not support given install orders.
And after figuring out how to use the proper packet manager, packages wouldn´t install because of being defined as corrupted. Confused

Any other way to go?
find Reply