Hovatek Forum MOBILE Android [Tutorial] How to get full length address using Wwr_MTK & SP Flash Tool
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

[Tutorial] How to get full length address using Wwr_MTK & SP Flash Tool

[Tutorial] How to get full length address using Wwr_MTK & SP Flash Tool

Pages (3): 1 2 3 Next
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
24-04-2018, 02:10 PM

In this tutorial, we'll show you how to get the length address needed to make a full ROM dump using PGPT backup file and Wwr_MTK tool. This is only necessary if you tried doing a RAM test but SP flash tool only shows "DRAM Flip Test". The guide is also useful for those who want to get length address for other partitions in an MTK device [e.g to get the length addresses of FRP partition for removing FRP lock] but don't have the scatter file for the device.

Requirements

Steps on how to get length address for full ROM dump using SP Flash tool, PGPT and Wwr_MTK Tool

1. Use the scatter file to perform an SP Flash tool readback of Region EMMC_USER with the values below using the readback guide @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-526.html [In my case, i'm saving the file as ROM1 ]
    Code:

Region: EMMC_USER
    physical_start_addr = 0x0
    partition_size      = 0x80000

2. The file we got from the step above contains the PGPT partition which we will now use to get the addresses of the remaining partitions. [i will refer to this file as PGPT file throughout this guide]

[Image: How-to-get-length-address-for-full-ROM-d...Tool-1.jpg]

3. Launch Wwr_MTK Tool

[Image: How-to-get-length-address-for-full-ROM-d...Tool-2.jpg]

4. Click on "Select File" just beside "Choose the EMMC_USER partition in the prepared backup"

[Image: How-to-get-length-address-for-full-ROM-d...Tool-3.jpg]

5. In the window that opens, navigate to the location of the PGPT file and select it

[Image: How-to-get-length-address-for-full-ROM-d...Tool-4.jpg]

6. You'll get a warning saying "The file size is smaller ...", Click OK to proceed [If you don't get any warning / notifications at all and PGPT seems empty, scroll to the bottom of the guide for what to do]

[Image: How-to-get-length-address-for-full-ROM-d...Tool-5.jpg]

7. In the small window that appears next, you'll get the length needed for a full ROM dump [in my case, its 0x3A3E00000 ], Click OK to proceed

[Image: How-to-get-length-address-for-full-ROM-d...Tool-6.jpg]

8. If what you need is the length for full ROM dump then you can exit Wwr_MTK Tool BUT for those who want to get the length address of a specific partition, then proceed to the next step

[Image: How-to-get-length-address-for-full-ROM-d...Tool-7.jpg]

9. Click on the "Search of partition" tab

[Image: How-to-get-length-address-for-full-ROM-d...Tool-8.jpg]

10. In this tab, you'll get the length addresses of all other partitions 

[Image: How-to-get-length-address-for-full-ROM-d...Tool-9.jpg]

Code:

Wwr_MTK - SPft Format tab - SPft Readback tab
Start   = Begin Address   = Begin Address
Length  = Format Length   = Length

Loaded PGPT file seems empty, what do i do?

• If after loading your PGPT readback and it seems empty or no notifications as in the screenshot below

[Image: How-to-get-length-address-for-full-ROM-d...ool-10.jpg]

• Click the scatter file tab

[Image: How-to-get-length-address-for-full-ROM-d...ool-11.jpg]

• Scroll down to the very last partition on the list, the value under 'FINISH' tab for the last partition on the list is the full length address for your device

[Image: How-to-get-length-address-for-full-ROM-d...ool-12.jpg]

How to skip userdata and cache when dumping ROM using Wwr_MTK

• Launch Wwr_MTK > Click 'Select File' at number 3 > Located your PGPT file and select it

[Image: How-to-skip-userdata-and-cache-when-dump..._MTK-1.jpg]

• Once the file is done loading, Click the 'Scatter File' tab

[Image: How-to-skip-userdata-and-cache-when-dump..._MTK-2.jpg]

• Copy the address value of 'FINISH' for system. (system is usually the last partition just before userdata and cache). Use this address as the length to perform a readback of EMMC_USER

[Image: How-to-skip-userdata-and-cache-when-dump..._MTK-3.jpg]
This post was last modified: 05-10-2019, 02:44 AM by X3non.
alumi4skop
alumi4skop
alumi4skop
09-09-2018, 12:33 AM
Mtk Droid tools ain't working for new chipset,so what's the way out bro
alumi4skop
alumi4skop
alumi4skop
09-09-2018, 12:34 AM
As how the we get the pgpt file when mtkdroid tool is no more working on newer chipset
alumi4skop
alumi4skop
alumi4skop
09-09-2018, 11:11 AM
Ok i did this ,and after getting a successful readback in spring flashtool , I proceed to wwr and I click on the select and I select the pgpt file ,it just bring a new window and disappear again ,I hardly seen what's the window is about ,c'mon I prefer the miracle method bit I ain't work for mt67xx don't know y
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
10-09-2018, 09:52 AM

(09-09-2018, 11:11 AM)alumi4skop Ok i did this ,and after getting a successful readback in spring flashtool , I proceed to wwr and I click on the select and I select the pgpt file ,it just bring a new window and disappear again ,I hardly seen what's the window is about ,c'mon I prefer the miracle method bit I ain't work for mt67xx don't know y

Are you sure you entered the correct addresses when reading back PGPT?

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
alumi4skop
alumi4skop
alumi4skop
14-09-2018, 01:04 AM
Yeah I am sure I did d right tin, so couldn't get it to backup so I try d same step for mtk6580 and it worked and I can get d physical address but didn't work with note 5 6763,thanks any help
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
14-09-2018, 11:11 AM
(14-09-2018, 01:04 AM)alumi4skop Yeah I am sure I did d right tin, so couldn't get it to backup so I try d same step for mtk6580 and it worked and I can get d physical address but didn't work with note 5 6763,thanks any help

Which version of wwr are you using?

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
alumi4skop
alumi4skop
alumi4skop
15-09-2018, 03:08 AM
2.30 wwr
alumi4skop
alumi4skop
alumi4skop
15-09-2018, 03:10 AM
Maybe I should try to download the 2.40 beta and test and I will give my observation
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
15-09-2018, 05:25 PM

(15-09-2018, 03:10 AM)alumi4skop Maybe I should try to download  the 2.40 beta and test and I will give my observation

try that and if you still have troubles then create a new thread so we focus on it
see https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-514.html for how to create a thread
Pages (3): 1 2 3 Next