Hovatek Forum MOBILE Android [Tutorial] How to enter Qualcomm Emergency Download Mode (EDL)
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

[Tutorial] How to enter Qualcomm Emergency Download Mode (EDL)

[Tutorial] How to enter Qualcomm Emergency Download Mode (EDL)

hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
22-01-2018, 12:29 PM

This guide will explain how to boot Qualcomm chipset-powered devices into Emergency Download (EDL) Mode. Flashing in EDL comes in handy in cases where reviving the device via fastboot or stock recovery isn't an option. The exact procedure varies with device so we'll cover the principles here. 

What is EDL?

EDL is part of the Primary Bootloader (PBL) on Qualcomm Devices. It implements the Firehose/Sahara protocol when executed which acts as a Secondary Bootloader to accept commands for flashing files to various partitions. 

How do I use EDL mode?

To flash or backup in EDL, you must first get the device into this mode and then have the firmware/files (programmer, patch, mbn, rawprogram etc) you wish to flash.
You are to use Qualcomm flash tools (like QFIL) which support flashing in EDL mode for the flashing process.

How to enter EDL

Method 1: Button Combo

• Power off the device
  • Hold both volume buttons (don't release) [if this doesn't work then ensure to try either volume up or volume down only]
  • Connect the device to a PC via a USB cord while still holding the volume button(s)

Method 2: ADB Method

• Setup ADB
  • Enable USB Debugging on the device
  • Launch ADB and run the following commands
    Code:

adb devices
    adb reboot edl
  • The device should boot into EDL Mode. You can verify by checking the device manager for an entry like QHSUB_BULK or Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 (if you have installed drivers)

Method 3: Fastboot method

Try commands like
Code:

fastboot oem edl
fastboot reboot-edl
fastboot reboot edl

Method 4: Motherboard / Test Points

Some devices require that you dismantle and short two gold points on the motherboard (i.e connect the two points using a conductive material such as a thin piece of wire or tweezers) then connect the device to the PC using a USB cable in order to boot into edl mode. e.g
Infinix X608, X622 e.t.c; see https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-23298.html
Vivo Y71; see https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-26914.html
Huawei ANE LX1; see https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-32682.html
You could run a quick search on Google for edl test point for your specific Qualcomm model

[Image: How-to-enter-Qualcomm-Emergency-Download-Mode-EDL.webp]

How to exit EDL

Simply hold the power button till the device reboots.
Note: This won't work if your device gets stuck in EDL mode as a result of bricking.

Important Notice
Some boxes / dongles have the Boot to EDL function
This post was last modified: 11-11-2023, 10:01 AM by hovatek.

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
sunstar
sunstar
sunstar
18-08-2019, 09:59 PM
My infinix after flashing,it does not drive only shows as fastboot
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
19-08-2019, 01:22 PM
(18-08-2019, 09:59 PM)sunstar My infinix after flashing,it does not drive only shows as fastboot

Create a new thread for your device issue by clicking "Ask Question" at the top
idea436
idea436
idea436
09-11-2023, 07:30 PM
Hi, my phone is Redmi note 7. He had a problem like this. He just has a black screen and he doesn't react to anything. In the device manager it shows QUSB_BULK please help.
idea436
idea436
idea436
09-11-2023, 07:32 PM

Hi, my phone is redmi note 7. He had a problem like this. He just has a black screen and he doesn't react to anything. In the device manager it shows QUSB_BULK please help.
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
10-11-2023, 12:44 PM
(09-11-2023, 07:32 PM)idea436 Hi, my phone is redmi note 7. He had a problem like this. He just has a black screen and he doesn't react to anything. In the device manager it shows QUSB_BULK please help.

Please create a thread by clicking Ask Question at the top

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.