Hovatek Forum MOBILE Android can I recover files without screen?
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

can I recover files without screen?

can I recover files without screen?

a5an
a5an
a5an
Enthusiastic Member
08-09-2022, 03:37 PM

Hi hello how are ya?

Situation:
A friend has asked me to try to recover files from their phone. They described the following scenario. The screen developed a "water spot" (I think they mean the sort of rainbow discoloration you can see on damaged/failing OLEDs) which gradually got worse over several weeks until the entire screen just stopped working. Just black. No backlight or anything.
It was never exposed to any actual liquids. They think it is a galaxy a50 but could be an a50s too I suppose.

What I have and know:
I have their permission. I have the swipe unlock pattern. I have access to multiple computers and OS'.
I know the phone is functional except for the screen. Linux and Windows see it (in charging mode) when on and I can turn it off and on and it vibrates at the appropriate moments etc..
It defaults to charging mode when plugged in and not file transfer mode.
It does not have USB debugging enabled and thus does not show up under adb devices.
I have tried but been unable to put it into fastboot mode or recovery mode although I don't know if that would help me anyway.
I have not tried download mode because I'm trying to exhaust all options before flashing it back to factory as a last resort to see if I can fix the screen.

Questions:
0) How can I determine the exact make/model and other useful details without removing the back?
1) Is there a way to enable USB debugging? If yes, details please.
2) Is there a way to mirror the screen onto another monitor? If yes, details please.
3) My searches seem to indicate a USB-C > HDMI dongle wouldn't work. True or false?
4a) Anything obvious or not obvious I'm missing?
4b) Other ideas or solutions to recovering the files?
4c) Any tricks to resetting the screen to a working state without and with fileloss?
5) Best place to get replacement screen from? We're in Europe. (Part would likely be "GH82-19204A" SVC ASSY SMT-OCTA(E/ZK)'S )

Thanks!
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
13-09-2022, 12:10 PM
(08-09-2022, 03:37 PM)a5an Hi hello how are ya?

Situation:
A friend has asked me to try to recover files from their phone. They described the following scenario. The screen developed a "water spot" (I think they mean the sort of rainbow discoloration you can see on damaged/failing OLEDs) which gradually got worse over several weeks until the entire screen just stopped working. Just black. No backlight or anything.
It was never exposed to any actual liquids. They think it is a galaxy a50 but could be an a50s too I suppose.

What I have and know:
I have their permission. I have the swipe unlock pattern. I have access to multiple computers and OS'.
I know the phone is functional except for the screen. Linux and Windows see it (in charging mode) when on and I can turn it off and on and it vibrates at the appropriate moments etc..
It defaults to charging mode when plugged in and not file transfer mode.
It does not have USB debugging enabled and thus does not show up under adb devices.
I have tried but been unable to put it into fastboot mode or recovery mode although I don't know if that would help me anyway.
I have not tried download mode because I'm trying to exhaust all options before flashing it back to factory as a last resort to see if I can fix the screen.

Questions:
0) How can I determine the exact make/model and other useful details without removing the back?
1) Is there a way to enable USB debugging? If yes, details please.
2) Is there a way to mirror the screen onto another monitor? If yes, details please.
3) My searches seem to indicate a USB-C > HDMI dongle wouldn't work. True or false?
4a) Anything obvious or not obvious I'm missing?
4b) Other ideas or solutions to recovering the files?
4c) Any tricks to resetting the screen to a working state without and with fileloss?
5) Best place to get replacement screen from? We're in Europe. (Part would likely be "GH82-19204A" SVC ASSY SMT-OCTA(E/ZK)'S )

Thanks!

Based on the information provided, your best bet is to have the screen replaced. Other options I see rely on a working screen at least. Casting the screen would require USB debugging already enabled

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
kelvinchinedu
kelvinchinedu
kelvinchinedu
Contributor
28-09-2022, 01:32 PM
If you have a working TWRP ,u can recover it