Hovatek Forum DEVELOPMENT Android Flashing GSI Image on MT6761 w/ Locked Bootloader
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

Flashing GSI Image on MT6761 w/ Locked Bootloader

Flashing GSI Image on MT6761 w/ Locked Bootloader

pecan_cm
pecan_cm
pecan_cm
21-06-2022, 07:37 PM

Hello there,

I have a Lenovo M8 tablet for which I possess a working GSI image that functions well with the device as long as it is flashed on an unlocked bootloader on top of the stock ROM.
But my requirement is to be able to flash the GSI image directly using the SP flash tool without having to unlock the bootloader.
I tried switching up the system.img in the stock ROM with GSI but it doesn't flash successfully because of the locked bootloader.
Therefore, for testing purposes, I flashed the GSI from SP flash tool directly but this time with unlocked bootloader, it flashes without error
But it will not boot, just comes on the splashscreen and then reboots again.
Please help!
Abdulakeem14
Abdulakeem14
Abdulakeem14
21-06-2022, 08:37 PM
(21-06-2022, 07:37 PM)pecan_cm Hello there,

I have a Lenovo M8 tablet for which I possess a working GSI image that functions well with the device as long as it is flashed on an unlocked bootloader on top of the stock ROM.
But my requirement is to be able to flash the GSI image directly using the SP flash tool without having to unlock the bootloader.
I tried switching up the system.img in the stock ROM with GSI but it doesn't flash successfully because of the locked bootloader.
Therefore, for testing purposes, I flashed the GSI from SP flash tool directly but this time with unlocked bootloader, it flashes without error
Please help!

Flash back stock system.img or flash full firmware.
Gsi on locked bootloader won't work on MTK devices
pecan_cm
pecan_cm
pecan_cm
21-06-2022, 09:20 PM
(21-06-2022, 08:37 PM)Abdulakeem14

Please help!

Is there no way to make GSI work on a locked bootloader? Even if I am able to have provide a custom signed vbmeta?
Abdulakeem14
Abdulakeem14
Abdulakeem14
21-06-2022, 10:47 PM
(21-06-2022, 09:20 PM)pecan_cm

Please help!

Is there no way to make GSI work on a locked bootloader? Even if I am able to have provide a custom signed vbmeta?

On unisoc yes, on mediatek don't think so
Abdulakeem14
Abdulakeem14
Abdulakeem14
22-06-2022, 06:34 AM

Please help!

I would suggest you book a private session, so we can have more look at your phone's security.
Skorpion06
Skorpion06
Skorpion06
07-08-2022, 07:39 AM
(21-06-2022, 10:47 PM)Abdulakeem14

Please help!

On unisoc yes, on mediatek don't think so
I have a zte device (unisoc) where i can't unlock bootloader, can you explain how to boot gsi on locked bootloader?
Gargoyle
Gargoyle
Gargoyle
Contributor
07-08-2022, 08:54 AM
With ZTE I'm not sure if it uses a public key, if not it won't work with self signed vbmeta.