Hovatek Forum DEVELOPMENT Android Altering vbmeta.imb
Try our Online TWRP Builder..its free!
Can't login? Please, reset your password.

Altering vbmeta.imb

Altering vbmeta.imb

dfahren
dfahren
dfahren
11-03-2022, 01:59 PM

Hi there,
I've got a small question. I own a Realme 8 and want to write the vbmeta partition. I've got the original vbmeta.img file from an mtkclient read vbmeta partition. So far so good.
Unfortunately the Realme 8 does not have a fastboot mode or as far as I know I'm unable to access it by issuing, for example, "adb reboot bootloader".
Now, I don't want dm-veritiy or other AVB stuff to interfere with my altered other partitions such as boot.img. With xiaomi devices you could simply write
Code:

fastboot flash --disable-verity --disable-verification vbmeta vbmeta.bin
but, as I said, this is not possible with a Realme 8.
So I want to know if there is a way to do the same what --disable-verity and --disable-verification does with some other tool, for example, that writes a "patched" vbmeta.img file?
No, I don't have any cryptographic keys for signing a self-generated vbmeta, just to tell the truth upfront.

Best wishes,
Dfahren
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
14-03-2022, 01:45 PM
(11-03-2022, 01:59 PM)dfahren Hi there,
I've got a small question. I own a Realme 8 and want to write the vbmeta partition. I've got the original vbmeta.img file from an mtkclient read vbmeta partition. So far so good.
Unfortunately the Realme 8 does not have a fastboot mode or as far as I know I'm unable to access it by issuing, for example, "adb reboot bootloader".
Now, I don't want dm-veritiy or other AVB stuff to interfere with my altered other partitions such as boot.img. With xiaomi devices you could simply write
Code:

fastboot flash --disable-verity --disable-verification vbmeta vbmeta.bin
but, as I said, this is not possible with a Realme 8.
So I want to know if there is a way to do the same what --disable-verity and --disable-verification does with some other tool, for example, that writes a "patched" vbmeta.img file?
No, I don't have any cryptographic keys for signing a self-generated vbmeta, just to tell the truth upfront.

Best wishes,
Dfahren

Have you unlocked bootloader?
You could just flash a blank vbmeta like in method 3 @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-32719.html

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
dfahren
dfahren
dfahren
16-03-2022, 06:19 PM
This was a rather theoretical question.
I just wanted to know if there is a tool that's capable of doing the same as fastboot flash --disable-verity --disable-verification does.

In the meantime I've unlocked both bootloader and flashed a modified rom. However, device prints "Orange state" which is ok for me, but bothersome once you want to sell.

Best wishes,
Dfahren
Abdulakeem14
Abdulakeem14
Abdulakeem14
17-03-2022, 03:48 PM
(16-03-2022, 06:19 PM)dfahren This was a rather theoretical question.
I just wanted to know if there is a tool that's capable of doing the same as fastboot flash --disable-verity --disable-verification does.

In the meantime I've unlocked both bootloader and flashed a modified rom. However, device prints "Orange state" which is ok for me, but bothersome once you want to sell.

Best wishes,
Dfahren

You can also use mtk client or sp flashtool to flashback vbmeta.img
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
19-03-2022, 09:28 AM

(16-03-2022, 06:19 PM)dfahren This was a rather theoretical question.

Best wishes,
Dfahren

You could consider hiding the error in lk.bin

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.