Hovatek Forum MOBILE Android Firmware Dump almost didn't extract any .img or .bin files
Try our Online TWRP Builder..its free!
Can't login? Please, reset your password.

Firmware Dump almost didn't extract any .img or .bin files

Firmware Dump almost didn't extract any .img or .bin files

xerxes
xerxes
xerxes
18-09-2021, 06:33 PM

Hello good people of Hovatek!

I have a MT6761 chipset, Android 11 phone on my hand, which has a Locked Bootloader. Although you can get into the Fastboot Mode and type "fastboot flashing unlock" to send Bootloader Unlock command to the phone, there is no possible way to actually press "Yes", because the Unlock command needs your input of Volume Up/Down,but there are no Volume buttons on this phone...

I was able to take a complete Dump of Firmware with SP Flash tool without any custom DA files or Bypass Utility, but almost all the files I have Dumped by cutting EMMC_USER file from Wwr Tool 2.51 Auto Mode, doesn't even have any extension (.img or .bin). Does this mean the Backup was actually unsuccessful? I have uploaded a Screenshot of the Cut partitions.

Also a side question, even if my Bootloader is Locked, do you think it would be possible to Root this phone? Or would I Brick it without having a Stock Firmware (excluding my own Firmware Dump)? I need you to enlighten me!
This post was last modified: 18-09-2021, 06:41 PM by xerxes.
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
20-09-2021, 10:25 AM
(18-09-2021, 06:33 PM)tortoise ...I have a MT6761 chipset, Android 11 phone on my hand, which has a Locked Bootloader. Although you can get into the Fastboot Mode and type "fastboot flashing unlock" to send Bootloader Unlock command to the phone, there is no possible way to actually press "Yes", because the Unlock command needs your input of Volume Up/Down,but there are no Volume buttons on this phone...

you could give mtk client (bootloader unlock) method a trial ; see https://github.com/bkerler/mtkclient
usage for bootloader unlock is somewhat as follows

firstly, "python mtk r seccfg seccfg-backup.bin" (command to backup seccfg partition, you can skip if you have a full firmware bckup from your device)
"python mtk stage" (this will boot the phone to stage 2)
"python stage2 seccfg --sw unlock" (this will generate a file named seccfg.bin for unlocking bl) [you don't need to disconnect the phone after the first command, just run this command next]

Now to flash the seccfg
"python stage2 reboot" (reboot away from stage2) [if the device boots to homescreen then power off, if not then disconnect usb then hold boot key and connect usb after running next command]
"python mtk w seccfg seccfg.bin" (command to write seccfg.bin to seccfg)

Code:

python mtk w seccfg seccfg-backup.bin
python mtk stage
python stage2 seccfg --sw unlock
python stage2 reboot
python mtk w seccfg seccfg.bin

(18-09-2021, 06:33 PM)tortoise I was able to take a complete Dump of Firmware with SP Flash tool without any custom DA files or Bypass Utility, but almost all the files I have Dumped by cutting EMMC_USER file from Wwr Tool 2.51 Auto Mode, doesn't even have any extension (.img or .bin). Does this mean the Backup was actually unsuccessful? I have uploaded a Screenshot of the Cut partitions.

backup is successful as per your screenshot, you can manually add file extensions but it really isn't that important. the file will work same way with or without extension

(18-09-2021, 06:33 PM)tortoise Also a side question, even if my Bootloader is Locked, do you think it would be possible to Root this phone? Or would I Brick it without having a Stock Firmware (excluding my own Firmware Dump)? I need you to enlighten me!

without unlocking bootloader, you'll brick the device (red state) once you flash any custom image
xerxes
xerxes
xerxes
21-09-2021, 06:18 AM
(20-09-2021, 10:25 AM)X3non
(18-09-2021, 06:33 PM)tortoise ...I have a MT6761 chipset, Android 11 phone on my hand, which has a Locked Bootloader. Although you can get into the Fastboot Mode and type "fastboot flashing unlock" to send Bootloader Unlock command to the phone, there is no possible way to actually press "Yes", because the Unlock command needs your input of Volume Up/Down,but there are no Volume buttons on this phone...

you could give mtk client (bootloader unlock) method a trial ; see https://github.com/bkerler/mtkclient
usage for bootloader unlock is somewhat as follows

firstly, "python mtk r seccfg seccfg-backup.bin" (command to backup seccfg partition, you can skip if you have a full firmware bckup from your device)
"python mtk stage" (this will boot the phone to stage 2)
"python stage2 seccfg --sw unlock" (this will generate a file named seccfg.bin for unlocking bl) [you don't need to disconnect the phone after the first command, just run this command next]

Now to flash the seccfg
"python stage2 reboot" (reboot away from stage2) [if the device boots to homescreen then power off, if not then disconnect usb then hold boot key and connect usb after running next command]
"python mtk w seccfg seccfg.bin" (command to write seccfg.bin to seccfg)

Code:

python mtk w seccfg seccfg-backup.bin
python mtk stage
python stage2 seccfg --sw unlock
python stage2 reboot
python mtk w seccfg seccfg.bin

(18-09-2021, 06:33 PM)tortoise I was able to take a complete Dump of Firmware with SP Flash tool without any custom DA files or Bypass Utility, but almost all the files I have Dumped by cutting EMMC_USER file from Wwr Tool 2.51 Auto Mode, doesn't even have any extension (.img or .bin). Does this mean the Backup was actually unsuccessful? I have uploaded a Screenshot of the Cut partitions.

backup is successful as per your screenshot, you can manually add file extensions but it really isn't that important. the file will work same way with or without extension

(18-09-2021, 06:33 PM)tortoise Also a side question, even if my Bootloader is Locked, do you think it would be possible to Root this phone? Or would I Brick it without having a Stock Firmware (excluding my own Firmware Dump)? I need you to enlighten me!

without unlocking bootloader, you'll brick the device (red state) once you flash any custom image

There is something wrong about this Phone's both Preloader and BROM, I feel like Phone just doesn't care about any of them once I plug it to the PC while script is running. It just goes to the charging screen. I tried different ways to directly go into the "stage" mode, by using preloader that I got from my Firmware Dump, but still didn't work. --debugmode command also doesn't produce anything after I plug the phone to PC. I will try this again in the future, but thank you for the reply, really appreciated.
kelvinchinedu
kelvinchinedu
kelvinchinedu
Contributor
21-09-2021, 06:35 AM
Oga ur backups were very successful ,is the software from ur PC that make it look as if there is no img .but if u look closer u will notice that there is an img and also bin fine from the file type column.so don't panic
kelvinchinedu
kelvinchinedu
kelvinchinedu
Contributor
21-09-2021, 06:37 AM

U can also gain root without unlocking the bootloader of the phone and u will not brick it.
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
21-09-2021, 11:14 AM
(21-09-2021, 06:18 AM)tortoise There is something wrong about this Phone's both Preloader and BROM, I feel like Phone just doesn't care about any of them once I plug it to the PC while script is running. It just goes to the charging screen. I tried different ways to directly go into the "stage" mode, by using preloader that I got from my Firmware Dump, but still didn't work. --debugmode command also doesn't produce anything after I plug the phone to PC. I will try this again in the future, but thank you for the reply, really appreciated.

python mtk stage
when you run this command, you need to hold the boot key on your device then connect the phone to the pc

to find out the boot key of your device, power off the phone, launch device manager, then try holding different keys / key combos then connect to the pc, until you find the key(s) that gets the phone to show up as "mtk usb port" in device manager
if the phone shows charging then disconnect usb and try a different key / key combo
wesside89048
wesside89048
wesside89048
24-12-2021, 07:05 AM
(18-09-2021, 06:33 PM)xerxes Hello good people of Hovatek!

I have a MT6761 chipset, Android 11 phone on my hand, which has a Locked Bootloader. Although you can get into the Fastboot Mode and type "fastboot flashing unlock" to send Bootloader Unlock command to the phone, there is no possible way to actually press "Yes", because the Unlock command needs your input of Volume Up/Down,but there are no Volume buttons on this phone...

I was able to take a complete Dump of Firmware with SP Flash tool without any custom DA files or Bypass Utility, but almost all the files I have Dumped by cutting EMMC_USER file from Wwr Tool 2.51 Auto Mode, doesn't even have any extension (.img or .bin). Does this mean the Backup was actually unsuccessful? I have uploaded a Screenshot of the Cut partitions...YOU COULD TRY CONNECTING AND USING A HEADPHONE JACK THAT QUITE POSSIBLY MAY GIVE YOU THE VOLUME BUTTONS YOU NEED...JUST AN IDEA

Also a side question, even if my Bootloader is Locked, do you think it would be possible to Root this phone? Or would I Brick it without having a Stock Firmware (excluding my own Firmware Dump)? I need you to enlighten me!