Hovatek Forum MOBILE Android Why a full restore does not unbrick my phone
Try our Online TWRP Builder..its free!
Can't login? Please, reset your password.

Why a full restore does not unbrick my phone

Why a full restore does not unbrick my phone

Ga Gu
Ga Gu
Ga Gu
Enthusiastic Member
22-05-2021, 02:35 PM

I said in my last thread that I made a full backup of all the partitions of my Meizu M5 Note (M1621) before I tried following a tutorial to unlock the bootloader and bricked my phone. In that thread I wanted to know how to flash the preloader partition when error STATUS_SEC_DL_FORBIDDEN is encountered.

But here's an update. Today I checked the preloader partition again and found that it was not changed at all. So I don't need to flash that partition.

So I restored all the partitions of my phone using SP Flash Tool. But it still doesn't come back to life!

When I try to switch it on, it says:
Quote:Orange State
Your device has been unlocked and can't be trusted
Your device will boot in 5 seconds

And then after a few seconds, the screen goes black, and then the logo Flyme shows up with a circle on the bottom half of the screen, and the phone stucks there forever.

It seems that restoring all the partitions I previously backed up doesn't help me unbrick my phone.
I wonder why?

Are there any other places than the eMMC momery chip that store information about whether the phone is bootloader unlocked?
Can anyone please explain that to me?
Abdulakeem14
Abdulakeem14
Abdulakeem14
23-05-2021, 06:46 AM
(22-05-2021, 02:35 PM)Ga Gu I said in my last thread that I made a full backup of all the partitions of my Meizu M5 Note (M1621) before I tried following a tutorial to unlock the bootloader and bricked my phone. In that thread I wanted to know how to flash the preloader partition when error STATUS_SEC_DL_FORBIDDEN is encountered.

But here's an update. Today I checked the preloader partition again and found that it was not changed at all. So I don't need to flash that partition.

So I restored all the partitions of my phone using SP Flash Tool. But it still doesn't come back to life!

When I try to switch it on, it says:
Quote:Orange State
Your device has been unlocked and can't be trusted
Your device will boot in 5 seconds

And then after a few seconds, the screen goes black, and then the logo Flyme shows up with a circle on the bottom half of the screen, and the phone stucks there forever.

It seems that restoring all the partitions I previously backed up doesn't help me unbrick my phone.
I wonder why?

Are there any other places than the eMMC momery chip that store information about whether the phone is bootloader unlocked?
flash back factory firmware
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
23-05-2021, 06:29 PM
(22-05-2021, 02:35 PM)Ga Gu ...
I wonder why?

depends what your backup contains, any custom images? if yes then you might want to flash back stock before relocking bootloader
on mtk, formatting seccfg partition will relock bootloader
Ga Gu
Ga Gu
Ga Gu
Enthusiastic Member
24-05-2021, 04:26 PM
(23-05-2021, 06:29 PM)X3non depends what your backup contains, any custom images? if yes then you might want to flash back stock before relocking bootloader
on mtk, formatting seccfg partition will relock bootloader

Thanks to all your respond.
However, it turns out I had mistaken. I was using the scatter file generated by WWR following this video guide:
How to use wwr v2.51 + SP flash tool to backup Mediatek rom

In that scatter file, not all partitions are selected by default. I thought I was flashing all partitions because all the partitions are ticked after the scatter file was loaded into SP Flash Tool.

But in fact, there were about 18 partitions that were not displaying in SP Flash Tool. For example, the seccfg partition:
Code:

- partition_index: SYS14
  partition_name: seccfg
  file_name: NONE
  is_download: false
  type: NORMAL_ROM
  linear_start_addr: 0x29800000
  physical_start_addr: 0x29800000
  partition_size: 0x800000
  region: EMMC_USER
  storage: HW_STORAGE_EMMC
  boundary_check: true
  is_reserved: false
  operation_type: INVISIBLE
  is_upgradable: false
  empty_boot_needed: false
  reserve: 0x00

I tried to flash back all those 18 partitions, but the error STATUS_SEC_DL_FORBIDDEN popped up again. So I tried to avoid downloading partitions that were not changed, to see if I can ignore this error.
I read back these partitions and binary compared them to what was previously backed up, and found 7 in total: frp, nvdata, para, proinfo, protect1, protect2, seccfg.
And I changed the file_name and is_download sections of these partitions, and successfully restored (downloaded) them.
Now my phone is OK again.

But there are still 2 little things.
1. I still can't flash back the flashinfo partition. It gives me "please check the load image file is correct or not" error when I try to do that.
The content of flashinfo partition is also changed.

I know the starting address of flashinfo by running command
Code:

sgdisk --print /dev/block/mmcblk0
before I made the backup:
Code:

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
  32       122109919       122142686   16.0 MiB    0700  flashinfo
And of course I know the precise size of that partition, because it's written in the scatter file:
Code:

- partition_index: SYS33
  partition_name: flashinfo
  file_name: NONE
  is_download: false
  type: NORMAL_ROM
  linear_start_addr: 0xFFFF0080
  physical_start_addr: 0xFFFF0080
  partition_size: 0x1000000
  region: EMMC_USER
  storage: HW_STORAGE_EMMC
  boundary_check: false
  is_reserved: true
  operation_type: RESERVED
  is_upgradable: false
  empty_boot_needed: false
  reserve: 0x00

2. The product value I get from fastboot mode has changed.
Before I tried to unlock the bootloader, I ran the command fastboot getvar all in fastboot mode and noted down the result.
After my first attempt to restore backup after I messed up, I ran that command again.

Comparing those results, I'm very surprised to find that the product value has been changed at some point!
Before I tried to unlock the bootloader, it was
Code:

(bootloader)     product: MZ6755_66_N
Now, after I've restored all the partitions except flashinfo, it is:
Code:

(bootloader)     product: WT6755_66_N5_M

All other values I get from fastboot getvar all are identical, such as warranty, unlocked, secure, etc.
Does this mean the product value is in the flashinfo partition?
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
25-05-2021, 11:12 AM

(24-05-2021, 04:26 PM)Ga Gu 1. I still can't flash back the flashinfo partition. It gives me "please check the load image file is correct or not" error when I try to do that.

no sure you can directly flash flashinfo using spft, you could try the write memory feature in spft or seeing as you still have bootloader unlocked, you can try fastboot

(24-05-2021, 04:26 PM)Ga Gu 2. The product value I get from fastboot mode has changed.
All other values I get from fastboot getvar all are identical, such as warranty, unlocked, secure, etc.
Does this mean the product value is in the flashinfo partition?

i doubt it does, but if you're able to flash it back then it'll help confirm
you could also search the file if you'll find the product's value within
Ga Gu
Ga Gu
Ga Gu
Enthusiastic Member
28-05-2021, 09:40 AM
(25-05-2021, 11:12 AM)X3non no sure you can directly flash flashinfo using spft, you could try the write memory feature in spft or seeing as you still have bootloader unlocked, you can try fastboot
Tried, but it failed to flash flashinfo partition using SP Flash Tool's write memory feature.
The bootloader was locked again since I had restored all the partitions (except flashinfo) of my phone. So I didn't try flashing through fastboot.

(25-05-2021, 11:12 AM)X3non i doubt it does, but if you're able to flash it back then it'll help confirm
you could also search the file if you'll find the product's value within
I didn't manage to flash it back, but I inspected the data of the flashinfo partition.
It seems to contain information of the last download event of the SP Flash Tool, including the names of the partitions that were downloaded, and the system information of the PC that runs the SP Flash Tool.

It turns out the product value was changed by my attempt to unlock the bootloader, and was restored by restoring all the partition data using SP Flash Tool.
The product value was in the lk partition. I found the string MZ6755_66_N in the lk partition image provided by that tutorial.
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
28-05-2021, 01:33 PM
(28-05-2021, 09:40 AM)Ga Gu ...The product value was in the lk partition. I found the string MZ6755_66_N in the lk partition image provided by that tutorial.

thanks for sharing the info