Hovatek Forum MOBILE Android [Tutorial] How to convert LG MTK kdz or tot to scatter format
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

[Tutorial] How to convert LG MTK kdz or tot to scatter format

[Tutorial] How to convert LG MTK kdz or tot to scatter format

Pages (2): 1 2 Next
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
16-05-2021, 11:56 AM

This guide will explain how to convert an LG kdz or tot file to scatter format which can be used in tools like SP flash tool.

Requirements

Steps to convert LG MTK kdz or tot to scatter format

Follow the steps below to build a scatter format firmware for LG MTK

See the video below or @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxNT1NnrTc0

1. Launch WWR MTK

[Image: How-to-convert-LG-MTK-kdz-or-tot-to-scat...mat-1.webp]

2. Click Select file

[Image: How-to-convert-LG-MTK-kdz-or-tot-to-scat...mat-2.webp]

3. Select the preloader file and click Open

[Image: How-to-convert-LG-MTK-kdz-or-tot-to-scat...mat-3.webp]

4. Click To extract preloader and save as

[Image: How-to-convert-LG-MTK-kdz-or-tot-to-scat...mat-4.webp]

5. Navigate to the location you wish to save the preloader and click Save

[Image: How-to-convert-LG-MTK-kdz-or-tot-to-scat...mat-5.webp]

6. Back in WWR, click Select file

[Image: How-to-convert-LG-MTK-kdz-or-tot-to-scat...mat-6.webp]

7. Select the pgpt file and click Open

[Image: How-to-convert-LG-MTK-kdz-or-tot-to-scat...mat-7.webp]

8. The partition table info should get displayed

[Image: How-to-convert-LG-MTK-kdz-or-tot-to-scat...mat-8.webp]

9. Scroll to Auto Mode and select it

[Image: How-to-convert-LG-MTK-kdz-or-tot-to-scat...mat-9.webp]

10. Click Start Autopilot

[Image: How-to-convert-LG-MTK-kdz-or-tot-to-scat...at-10.webp]

11. Tick Enter platform manually

[Image: How-to-convert-LG-MTK-kdz-or-tot-to-scat...at-11.webp]

12. Select your device's chipset and click Start the process

[Image: How-to-convert-LG-MTK-kdz-or-tot-to-scat...at-12.webp]

13. Wait while WWR processes

[Image: How-to-convert-LG-MTK-kdz-or-tot-to-scat...at-13.webp]

14. Click OK when you get the 'You have entered the wrong total memory size!!! It should not be less than the last partition' prompt

[Image: How-to-convert-LG-MTK-kdz-or-tot-to-scat...at-14.webp]

15. Click Create scatter file

[Image: How-to-convert-LG-MTK-kdz-or-tot-to-scat...at-15.webp]

16. Navigate to the location you wish to save the scatter file and click Select Folder

[Image: How-to-convert-LG-MTK-kdz-or-tot-to-scat...at-16.webp]

17. Now, you can start editing the scatter file using notepad or notepad++

Important Notice
  • This guide applies to only Mediatek (MTK) LG devices
  • To make a partition flashable via the scatter file, set is_download to true and file name to match the name of the file (for that partition) which is in the same folder as the scatter file
  • For models with secure boot, you can disable auth using mtkclient before flashing in SP flash tool

Video Transcript
Quote:In this video tutorial, I'll be explaining how to convert an LG kdz or tot into a scatter format firmware which can be used in flash tools like SP flash tool for Mediatek devices. Now, you're going to need the LG firmware extractor, I'll link to that. You'll need WWR, you'll need the kdz for the device you intend to work on and and of course you'll need SP flash tool to flash. You'll also need Notepad++ although regular notepad could be sufficient. Now, I've created a done folder here. This is where I'll be saving my processed files. Its currently.. ok, I need to first clear this so we're starting afresh. Alright, so its empty. Alright, so the first thing you do is to launch the kdz extractor or tot then you load the kdz or tot. Now, you scroll down, you tick this box then click Extract KD and you wait till it is done. So the kdz is done extracting, now you load the dz. The... there are two very important files you'll need; preloader and pgpt then any other file you intend to flash so I'll tick preloader, patched pgpt, maybe boot and laf and any other files you intend to flash. This is just for example. Alright, so I click on extract dz. Alright, so extract is done and you can close the lg extract tool. So next is wwr so launch wwr.

You have to wait till the countdown. if you don't want to wait for 120 seconds then consider donating to the developer to help keep the tool free. Alright, wwr is up. If you find the tabs too small then just come under settings and you change the font size to 6. 6 is... 6 works pretty good for me. Now, you click on Select file. We're going to load the preloader first. Now, click To extract preloader and save as. I'll choose the done folder to save the processed preloader and save. Alright, next you load the pgpt then you scroll to the auto tab, click Start Autopilot, You tick Enter platform manually. Mine is 6765 so you choose your platform and click Start the process. When you get this prompt, click OK. Next, click Create scatter file.. Select the folder you intend to save the scatter file to and click select folder. So we have the scatter file. Now you can close WWR. Now, the next part is to edit the scatter file with the information of the files you intend to flash so I'll copy the two partitions I intend to flash and then open the scatter file using notepad or notepad++. Now, you locate boot. Its an A/B device so that is boot_a I intend to flash to. Now, ensure is_download is set to True and then you get the file name for boot thn you do the same for the laf. Set is_download to true then get the file name and then you save the scatter file; Ctrl S.

Now, lets test this in SP flash tool. You can see, preloader is ticked, boot is ticked and laf is ticked. So the scatter file works pretty well. So that's how to convert an LG kdz or tot to a scatter format firmware for flashing in a scatter tool like sp flash tool
This post was last modified: 21-11-2023, 08:43 AM by hovatek.

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
BHUNTSMAN
BHUNTSMAN
BHUNTSMAN
20-06-2021, 11:44 AM
Thank you so much for this. I think this is missing piece I need to root my Stylo.6 that is unlocked now from Cricket . Would the unlocked firmware be the way to go so as to unlock bootloader and have fastboot instead of fastbootd ?
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
21-06-2021, 12:05 PM
(20-06-2021, 11:44 AM)BHUNTSMAN Thank you so much for this. I think this is missing piece I need to root my Stylo.6 that is unlocked now from Cricket . Would the unlocked firmware be the way to go so as to unlock bootloader and have fastboot instead of fastbootd ?

fastboot (bootloader) is entirely different from fastbootd
fastboot is replaced by laf, erasing laf should get you fastboot only if LG hasn't disabled fastboot
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
23-06-2021, 01:54 PM
(20-06-2021, 11:44 AM)BHUNTSMAN Thank you so much for this. I think this is missing piece I need to root my Stylo.6 that is unlocked now from Cricket . Would the unlocked firmware be the way to go so as to unlock bootloader and have fastboot instead of fastbootd ?

There's a Stylo 6 bootloader unlock exploit but it requires Chimera

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
wesside298
wesside298
wesside298
Enthusiastic Member
19-11-2021, 02:54 AM

hello..and greetings from las vegas..was ???..i am working on LG K-51.mtk 6762..there is no support for this chip..would it be the same as 6765??to use scatter file..
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
19-11-2021, 03:21 PM
(19-11-2021, 02:54 AM)wesside298 hello..and greetings from las vegas..was ???..i am working on LG K-51.mtk 6762..there is no support for this chip..would it be the same as 6765??to use scatter file..

Its MT6765, that's what you choose

Note!
24-11-2021, 01:48 AM
WWR also worked for the Samsung A125U which I'm now working on to unlock the bootloader, and it's not that easy to flash the unlocked firmware to the stylo 6 or K51 because they have a totally different pgpt and scatter than the carrier versions.
wesside298
wesside298
wesside298
Enthusiastic Member
24-11-2021, 11:14 AM
(24-11-2021, 01:48 AM)Warlockguitarman WWR also worked for the Samsung A125U which I'm now working on to unlock the bootloader, and it's not that easy to flash the unlocked firmware to the stylo 6 or K51 because they have a totally different pgpt and scatter than the carrier versions.

so..that being said..but as long as you have the proper addresses for the partitions..from the phone in ??..combined with pgpt and the scatter.. should be able to get a decent cut and assembly..right??what would you suggest for that k51??
25-11-2021, 10:59 PM
Well you will need make a back up first with every single partition, so the python mtk wl out backup so you can flash back individual partitions. Then use sp flash to format the device then you'll need to use the unlocked firmware scatter and flash back a handful of partitions including the LAF so that you can boot the phone into firmware download mode and use LG UP to install the unlocked kdz and then flash back your nvdata nvram and a few other partitions, I have not completed a tutorial to do this yet but I may work on this process as I've seen many people wanting to do this, just know that your going into unknown territory with this process, I had help from hovatek months and months ago when I hard bricked my stylo6's that i unlocked the bootloaders on, they were metro pcs and I flashed them with the boost firmware to bring them back, so that's how I know the process will work but I don't have all the specifics worked out yet
Hernandez
Hernandez
Hernandez
04-03-2022, 04:50 AM

What files are needed for full flash? There are many super partitions and many user data
Pages (2): 1 2 Next