Hovatek Forum DEVELOPMENT Android [Please help] Lenovo M7 (TB-7305F) Root without TWRP with Magisk
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

[Please help] Lenovo M7 (TB-7305F) Root without TWRP with Magisk

[Please help] Lenovo M7 (TB-7305F) Root without TWRP with Magisk

sevens7
sevens7
sevens7
28-02-2021, 05:34 AM

Hi.
I am trying to manage root without twrp for a couple of days. I picked up the solution with magisk patched recovery.

Bootloader is unlocked and disabled dm_verity.

I've tried to flash root to recovery with magisk patched recovery.img via fastboot.
But the .img size is to large to push it with fastboot(is texted in fastboot). I thought that original recovery partition should match to the original img size. The size of both(org/patched) Images are16 mb. How can i flash the original recovery via fastboot at all?
By the way i was curious after magisk patching cause the patched .img file has the same size as the original .img file.

I downloaded twrp port tool https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-21839.html and ported recovery-sign.img(16mb) and got a recovery.img(15mb) with a smaller size so i was able to flash it via fastboot. Tried two ways, first patched with magisk and then port recovery with port tool, second time vice versa.
Fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
Fastboot reboot.
Device is booting to Lenovo splash screen with the warning that the device is unlocked and boot in 5s. Could wait forever. After a while it booted to system
But no root.
Reboot.
Boot with key combo, but here it doesnt work with vol+/power. This device needs to push vol+/vol-/power
Hold Vol+withVol- and power, released as lenovo splash with the warning appears. Booted to default recovery.
Figured that just push button combo for 1-2 sec, boots me to recovery. Tried variable times to hold the key combo but never i got system booting with root.

I found this thread https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-361...#pid199519

How could i get Magisk to patch this img properly?

I tried with sp flash tool to flash the patched recovery.img but after patching the img is not signed anymore, so flash tool doesn't flash it.
This is the FW by the way: TB-7305F_S100080_210107_ROW

Maybe here i get some help
This post was last modified: 28-02-2021, 05:55 AM by sevens7.
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
01-03-2021, 08:05 AM
(28-02-2021, 05:34 AM)sevens7 ...

if you plan to root using magisk in recovery, then you need to boot into recovery mode to get root
fastboot reboot takes you back to system without root
"fastboot oem reboot-recovery" if it works on your device should boot to magisk recovery

btw instead of recovery, did you try patching boot using magisk? and also using magisk canary if magisk doesn't work?
This post was last modified: 01-03-2021, 08:06 AM by X3non.
sevens7
sevens7
sevens7
01-03-2021, 12:48 PM
When i boot fastboot reboot to recovery it boots to system without root and every boot via recovery starts a system update after restart.
Fastboot oem reboot-recovery it boots to factory recovery.
Tried patched boot.img but i don´t be able to flash it with fastboot. I got "file to large" from fastboot.
For me it is not even possible to flash original recovery.img/boot.img. Size is to large.

Tried also different Magisk Update Channels but also no success. Read disscusion in Github thread ,something about MTK Magisk incompatibility. But this disscusion was about a year back in the beginning 2020, or earlier, in 2019.
But it was fixed at the end and implemented for sure in Magisk 22.0.
In XDA thread i read about that it was working in the last year, but since a firmware update it wont anymore.
This post was last modified: 01-03-2021, 12:59 PM by sevens7.
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
02-03-2021, 09:35 AM
(01-03-2021, 12:48 PM)sevens7 When i boot fastboot reboot to recovery it boots to system without root and every boot via recovery starts a system update after restart.
Tried patched boot.img but i don´t be able to flash it with fastboot. I got "file to large" from fastboot.
For me it is not even possible to flash original recovery.img/boot.img. Size is to large.

try unpacking / repacking the boot.img using android image kitchen, see if it helps reduce the size
sevens7
sevens7
sevens7
02-03-2021, 11:06 AM

(02-03-2021, 09:35 AM)X3non
(01-03-2021, 12:48 PM)sevens7 When i boot fastboot reboot to recovery it boots to system without root and every boot via recovery starts a system update after restart.

try unpacking / repacking the boot.img using android image kitchen, see if it helps reduce the size

Okay i finaly pulled the boot.img/recovery.img via WwR_Tool and SP-Tool. And this time fastboot accept it without complaining about sizes Wink
Next step is to setup System, install Magisk app, patch that recovery.img and flashing that.
Will report back....
This post was last modified: 02-03-2021, 11:08 AM by sevens7.
kelvinchinedu
kelvinchinedu
kelvinchinedu
Contributor
02-03-2021, 09:54 PM
Flash vbmeta first