Hovatek Forum DEVELOPMENT Android How do I root Infinix Smart 3 X5516B with Magisk | System-as-root | Recovery mode
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

How do I root Infinix Smart 3 X5516B with Magisk | System-as-root | Recovery mode

How do I root Infinix Smart 3 X5516B with Magisk | System-as-root | Recovery mode

Pages (2): 1 2 Next
Osinachi Okpara
Osinachi Okpara
Osinachi Okpara
05-10-2020, 08:06 PM

Hey guys

I've been having issues trying to root my phone with Magisk. I'm using an Infinix Smart 3 x5516B. I tried severally until I found out my phone is a system-as-root phone and I have to use my stock recovery instead of boot.img. I tried that and my phone went into a boot loop.

So I decided to port my recovery.img with the Auto TWRP recovery porter, selected Pie 4.9.117 kernel while my phone is "4.9.117+" kernel and then
flashed an empty vbmeta to bypass DM verity. It flashed successfully but then everytime I reboot to recovery with ADB it boots into stock recovery which isn't even supposed to be as the stock recovery is meant to be gone.

So I retried flashing the Magisk patched recovery img again since I had already disabled DM verity thinking I could forget about TWRP and just use the Magisk patch instead. It flashed but since I have to be rebooting halfway into recovery everytime to enter Magisk mode, I tried doing that but my phone just keeps bootlooping while I'm still pressing on the Volume Up + Power key until I let go of it. The Volume up key has been having some issues when ever I try to press it sometimes like to increase volume or take screenshots normally but it works most of the time. I don't know if that was the issue but it has caused that I'm unable to enter into Magisk (recovery) mode on my phone.

I've tried using ADB to enter recovery but it keeps booting to the stock recovery instead of Magisk. I'm really confused now and would appreciate anyone who can help me out of this!! ??
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
06-10-2020, 01:46 PM
(05-10-2020, 08:06 PM)Osinachi Okpara Hey guys

I've been having issues trying to root my phone with Magisk. I'm using an Infinix Smart 3 x5516B. I tried severally until I found out my phone is a system-as-root phone and I have to use my stock recovery instead of boot.img. I tried that and my phone went into a boot loop.

So I decided to port my recovery.img with the Auto TWRP recovery porter, selected Pie 4.9.117 kernel while my phone is "4.9.117+" kernel and then
flashed an empty vbmeta to bypass DM verity. It flashed successfully but then everytime I reboot to recovery with ADB it boots into stock recovery which isn't even supposed to be as the stock recovery is meant to be gone.

So I retried flashing the Magisk patched recovery img again since I had already disabled DM verity thinking I could forget about TWRP and just use the Magisk patch instead. It flashed but since I have to be rebooting halfway into recovery everytime to enter Magisk mode, I tried doing that but my phone just keeps bootlooping while I'm still pressing on the Volume Up + Power key until I let go of it. The Volume up key has been having some issues when ever I try to press it sometimes like to increase volume or take screenshots normally but it works most of the time. I don't know if that was the issue but it has caused that I'm unable to enter into Magisk (recovery) mode on my phone.

I've tried using ADB to enter recovery but it keeps booting to the stock recovery instead of Magisk. I'm really confused now and would appreciate anyone who can help me out of this!! ??

for root, try patching boot using magisk canary ; see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGLWoJ-POlA

for magisk recovery / twrp, you either need to root and delete recovery-from-boot.p as explained @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-10992.html OR attempt booting straight to recovery mode from fastboot; see https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-21410.html
This post was last modified: 06-10-2020, 02:23 PM by X3non.
Osinachi Okpara
Osinachi Okpara
Osinachi Okpara
08-10-2020, 11:45 AM
(06-10-2020, 01:46 PM)X3non
(05-10-2020, 08:06 PM)Osinachi Okpara Hey guys

for root, try patching boot using magisk canary ; see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGLWoJ-POlA

for magisk recovery / twrp, you either need to root and delete recovery-from-boot.p as explained @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-10992.html OR attempt booting straight to recovery mode from fastboot; see https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-21410.html
Osinachi Okpara
Osinachi Okpara
Osinachi Okpara
08-10-2020, 11:53 AM
I've tried using the SP flash tool to flash the ported TWRP recovery but it's still booting into stock recovery. I even flashed it 3 times just to be sure but it still didn't work. Even when I tried rebooting to recovery through fastboot, the device just restarted.

You said sth about deleting recovery-from-boot.p for Magisk recovery. Please could you expatiate? I really haven't heard about that before and would hope to know better

I haven't tried the canary version yet but I really hope it works. 

Update: Just tried using Magisk Canary to patch my boot.img and flashed with SP flash tool with the latest version but it didn't work. Should I flash three times like I did for the recovery.img flashing?

This is NOT good. Any other way?? I'm really out of options here ??

Thanks!
This post was last modified: 08-10-2020, 12:41 PM by Osinachi Okpara.
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
09-10-2020, 10:38 AM

(08-10-2020, 11:53 AM)Osinachi Okpara I've tried using the SP flash tool to flash the ported TWRP recovery but it's still booting into stock recovery. I even flashed it 3 times just to be sure but it still didn't work. Even when I tried rebooting to recovery through fastboot, the device just restarted.

attach screenshots of the commands used in fastboot
you've tried all 3 options listed below?
1. flash empty vbmeta > patch boot using magisk > flash using fastboot
2. flash empty vbmeta > patch boot using magisk canary > flash using fastboot
3. flash empty vbmeta > patch recovery using magisk > flash using fastboot then reboot to recovery using the fastboot command?
Osinachi Okpara
Osinachi Okpara
Osinachi Okpara
10-10-2020, 07:10 PM
(09-10-2020, 10:38 AM)X3non
(08-10-2020, 11:53 AM)Osinachi Okpara I've tried using the SP flash tool to flash the ported TWRP recovery but it's still booting into stock recovery. I even flashed it 3 times just to be sure but it still didn't work. Even when I tried rebooting to recovery through fastboot, the device just restarted.

3. flash empty vbmeta > patch recovery using magisk > flash using fastboot then reboot to recovery using the fastboot command?

I've done all these but in no 2, I didn't use fastboot but SP flash tool to flash the Canary-patched boot.img. Also, when I used no 3, it just booted into the normal interface or sometimes stock recovery. 

Should I try flashing the boot image again with the fastboot flashing instead of SP flash tool?

Do I need to send the screenshots again since I've already confirmed what I've done?

Also, does disabling DM verity mean I can't get OTA updates?
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
12-10-2020, 08:43 AM
(10-10-2020, 07:10 PM)Osinachi Okpara I've done all these but in no 2, I didn't use fastboot but SP flash tool to flash the Canary-patched boot.img. Also, when I used no 3, it just booted into the normal interface or sometimes stock recovery. 

Should I try flashing the boot image again with the fastboot flashing instead of SP flash tool?

Do I need to send the screenshots again since I've already confirmed what I've done?

leave the 3rd option out for now
repeat 1 and 2 as it is written and post the outcome
you should be able to receive ota updates with dm verity disabled, but installing might not go so well if you have custom images on the device
for now, no need for screenshots
This post was last modified: 12-10-2020, 08:45 AM by X3non.
okoye.innocent56
okoye.innocent56
okoye.innocent56
25-11-2020, 12:32 PM
(10-10-2020, 07:10 PM)Osinachi Okpara
(09-10-2020, 10:38 AM)X3non
(08-10-2020, 11:53 AM)Osinachi Okpara I've tried using the SP flash tool to flash the ported TWRP recovery but it's still booting into stock recovery. I even flashed it 3 times just to be sure but it still didn't work. Even when I tried rebooting to recovery through fastboot, the device just restarted.

I've done all these but in no 2, I didn't use fastboot but SP flash tool to flash the Canary-patched boot.img. Also, when I used no 3, it just booted into the normal interface or sometimes stock recovery. 

Did you later succeeded in rooting your smart 3 phon??
Osinachi Okpara
Osinachi Okpara
Osinachi Okpara
27-01-2021, 12:14 PM
Nope I didn't.

I gave up after a while and flashed my initial vbmeta and recovery and boot images. One problem I'm facing now is the Hovatek Auto TWRP porter. I've tried it so much but my device keeps booting into stock recovery whenever I try to boot to the custom recovery.

If I can get a system that has worked for you with any other person using the phone, please I'll need assistance. I want to flash a custom ROM and I need TWRP for that.

Thanks!
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
27-01-2021, 05:51 PM

(27-01-2021, 12:14 PM)Osinachi Okpara ...I want to flash a custom ROM and I need TWRP for that.

what you really need is an unlocked bootloader and fastboot for flashing gsi roms
Pages (2): 1 2 Next