Hovatek Forum MOBILE Android Hard Brick BDF Tablet After Flashing VBMETA
Try our Online TWRP Builder..its free!
Can't login? Please, reset your password.

Hard Brick BDF Tablet After Flashing VBMETA

Hard Brick BDF Tablet After Flashing VBMETA

Pages (2): 1 2 Next
robworkman
robworkman
robworkman
Enthusiastic Member
05-10-2020, 02:51 AM

Hello,

I have a BDF-M107 tablet purchased from Ali Express running Android 9 Pie. It has a Spreadtrum/Unisoc 9863A chipset. While exploring how to flash IMG files (I was following your post to disable AVB so I could also use your TWRP Port) I seem to have hard-bricked the device. 

I cannot get into Fastboot mode, and ADB doesn't seem to see the device any longer. Windows detects it as "SPRD U2S Diag (COM3), but that's about it. I have also tried on Ubuntu 16 via Linux Live. The vendor sent me a link to download a copy of "BE TOOLS", plus a RAR file with a whole bunch of IMG files. There are about 6 xml files included and I've been able to use them to figure out which of the IMG files is for what partition. Unfortunately, BE TOOLS crashes everytime I try to open one of the XMLs. 

The SpreadTrum Tools seem to work only with SCA files so I was wondering if you could offer any advice or options. Is there a way that I can create a SCA file from the IMG files?

In case it's useful, they posted the file here and and the link is valid until October 29th apparently. It's just over 1.1 GB in size.

http://mail.qq.com/cgi-bin/ftnExs_downlo...e=f697968c

Thanks very much in advance for any advice you can offer, and also you forum is probably one of the most informative and easiest to follow!
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
05-10-2020, 01:22 PM
(05-10-2020, 02:51 AM)robworkman ...

how exactly did this device get into the SPRD U2S Diag ? ie what procedures did you carry out that got the device into this mode?
it seems like you tried flashing using a flash tool that failed to flash
if yes, then either disconnect / reconnect the battery OR keep charging till it eventually shows charging sign ; refer to https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-808.html
robworkman
robworkman
robworkman
Enthusiastic Member
08-10-2020, 01:26 AM
Hello, and thanks for the reply. No flashing tool was used other than fastboot. I was working with this post so that I could actually flash TWRP recovery: https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-32674.html

Unfortunately, the empty VBMETA file that I flashed with FastBoot after getting the signature info seems to be preventing the device from starting up.

If I shut off the device using the reset pin, and plug it in, I do see the charging logo. The problem is that at power on, it stays stuck on the BDF logo and I can't ADB or trigger fastboot - even with key combinations. VBMETA was the only thing flashed as well, since the signatures seemed to be preventing the flashing of anything else.

I will take a look at the post you suggested, but I wanted to reply for now.

Thanks again in advance.
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
08-10-2020, 11:28 AM
(08-10-2020, 01:26 AM)robworkman ...
I will take a look at the post you suggested, but I wanted to reply for now.

Thanks again in advance.

no need for that anymore, you device isn't totally dead as per the thread title, rather stuck at boot
you need to flash your stock firmware
attach a screenshot showing the contents of the firmware, also what's the version of betools you have?
robworkman
robworkman
robworkman
Enthusiastic Member
09-10-2020, 04:19 AM

(08-10-2020, 01:26 AM)robworkman Thanks very much, again, for replying. I figured it would be that I need to flash the stock firmware, except that they didn't send a PAC file - just a ZIP of IMG and XML files (included screen shot). Using the XMLs, I was able to figure out what IMG file relates to what partition, I just don't seem to be able to flash it.

Like I said, BeTools seems to crash no matter which XML I try to open, and any SpreadTrum tool seems to only take PAC files.

The BeTools version is 5.8.44.342 according to Help>>>About.

Thanks again for your reply, and I really appreciate the help.

Cheers!
Attached Files
.jpg
BDF_M107 FW Folder.JPG
Size: 133.32 KB / Downloads: 19
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
09-10-2020, 02:44 PM
(09-10-2020, 04:19 AM)robworkman Thanks very much, again, for replying. I figured it would be that I need to flash the stock firmware, except that they didn't send a PAC file - just a ZIP of IMG and XML files (included screen shot). Using the XMLs, I was able to figure out what IMG file relates to what partition, I just don't seem to be able to flash it.

Like I said, BeTools seems to crash no matter which XML I try to open, and any SpreadTrum tool seems to only take PAC files.

The BeTools version is 5.8.44.342 according to Help>>>About.

Thanks again for your reply, and I really appreciate the help.

Cheers!

try renaming the xml files, i.e remove the chinese characters then retry loading into betools. see if it fixes the crashing issue
robworkman
robworkman
robworkman
Enthusiastic Member
10-10-2020, 03:08 AM
Hi Again, and thanks for the suggestion.

I did try that, but I did sill use characters like underscores. Will give it another go with a different naming convention.
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
10-10-2020, 01:51 PM
(10-10-2020, 03:08 AM)robworkman Hi Again, and thanks for the suggestion.

I did try that, but I did sill use characters like underscores. Will give it another go with a different naming convention.

can you zip and upload only the xml files then post the link here
while at it, also try other versions of betools ; you can check the link @ https://androidmtk.com/betools-flash-tool
robworkman
robworkman
robworkman
Enthusiastic Member
13-10-2020, 10:56 PM
Hi again, I made a bit of progress... if it can be called that.

I was able to get BeTools to read the XMLs after doing a rename. It also recognized the tablet when I plugged it in. Unfortunately, it would not begin to flash anything at all - just getting stuck on FDL. On one of the attempts, I unchecked FDL and FDL2 from the flash list and things looked like they were about to go. It tried to flash VBMETA, but gave an "Incompatible Partition" error.

After that, the tablet won't even power on. I've tried every combination of holding down buttions, unplugging, plugging in while standing upside-down, etc... and I just get a black screen. From the speakers, I can hear a hiss like it's trying to power on, it just won't go past the black screen. It won't even show the logo anymore.

Unfortunately, I might be out of luck on this one unless you have any other tips.

Thanks!
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
14-10-2020, 02:03 PM

(13-10-2020, 10:56 PM)robworkman Hi again, I made a bit of progress... if it can be called that.

I was able to get BeTools to read the XMLs after doing a rename. It also recognized the tablet when I plugged it in. Unfortunately, it would not begin to flash anything at all - just getting stuck on FDL. On one of the attempts, I unchecked FDL and FDL2 from the flash list and things looked like they were about to go. It tried to flash VBMETA, but gave an "Incompatible Partition" error.

After that, the tablet won't even power on. I've tried every combination of holding down buttions, unplugging, plugging in while standing upside-down, etc... and I just get a black screen. From the speakers, I can hear a hiss like it's trying to power on, it just won't go past the black screen. It won't even show the logo anymore.

Unfortunately, I might be out of luck on this one unless you have any other tips.

Thanks!

retry flashing, leave all items ticked and try connecting the phone while holding either vol down button or vol up
Pages (2): 1 2 Next