Hovatek Forum MOBILE Android Readback process stalls
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

Readback process stalls

Readback process stalls

RobinHood2020
RobinHood2020
RobinHood2020
Enthusiastic Member
19-02-2020, 05:21 PM

I have a ZTE Z3351S phone with an MT6739 chipset. On step 9, according to the video on "How to use Wwr MTK + SP Flash tool to back up Mediatek rom," I'm supposed to get a red bar at the bottom of the window apprising me as to the progress of the readback process, but I never get it. This leads me to believe that the readback process has stalled. I have installed the VCOM driver using the Windows Device Manager. What else could be wrong?
freshtyt
freshtyt
freshtyt
19-02-2020, 07:01 PM
(19-02-2020, 05:21 PM)RobinHood2020 I have a ZTE Z3351S phone with an MT6739 chipset. On step 9, according to the video on "How to use Wwr MTK + SP Flash tool to back up Mediatek rom," I'm supposed to get a red bar at the bottom of the window apprising me as to the progress of the readback process, but I never get it. This leads me to believe that the readback process has stalled. I have installed the VCOM driver using the Windows Device Manager. What else could be wrong?

power off your phone > launch device manager on your pc > connect the phone to the pc without holding any buttons on the phone
does the PC make any connection sound?
does device manager refresh?

you can retry the steps above again, this time hold either vol down or vol up button
RobinHood2020
RobinHood2020
RobinHood2020
Enthusiastic Member
20-02-2020, 01:24 AM
PC makes the sound of a hardware device being connected, and I see the Device Manager refresh three times, with ultimately no change.

I've disconnected the phone, and reconnected it while holding down the volume down button (the volume up button just boots back up into Android), and now I'm getting the Android Recovery menu. In Device Manager, I get a new entry under "Android Device" without a caution symbol, as shown in the most recent enclosed screenshot.
This post was last modified: 20-02-2020, 01:25 AM by RobinHood2020.
Attached Files
.png
mmc_bV9U5aTN30.png
Size: 36.04 KB / Downloads: 2
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
20-02-2020, 10:30 AM
(20-02-2020, 01:24 AM)RobinHood2020 PC makes the sound of a hardware device being connected, and I see the Device Manager refresh three times, with ultimately no change.

I've disconnected the phone, and reconnected it while holding down the volume down button (the volume up button just boots back up into Android), and now I'm getting the Android Recovery menu. In Device Manager, I get a new entry under "Android Device" without a caution symbol, as shown in the most recent enclosed screenshot.

you won't be able to make a readback in spft when the phone is powered on, that rules out any button that powers on the phone regardless of what mode the phone boots into
power off the phone then expand ports & lpt in device manager, connect the phone without holding any buttons and take a close look at ports
what does the phone get detected as?
RobinHood2020
RobinHood2020
RobinHood2020
Enthusiastic Member
21-02-2020, 05:21 PM

(20-02-2020, 10:30 AM)X3non
(20-02-2020, 01:24 AM)RobinHood2020 PC makes the sound of a hardware device being connected, and I see the Device Manager refresh three times, with ultimately no change.

you won't be able to make a readback in spft when the phone is powered on, that rules out any button that powers on the phone regardless of what mode the phone boots into
power off the phone then expand ports & lpt in device manager, connect the phone without holding any buttons and take a close look at ports
what does the phone get detected as?
For a moment, the phone shows up under "Ports (COM & LPT)" as a "MediaTek PreLoader USB VCOM (Android) (COM3)" before disconnecting and reconnecting. It then shows up under "Human Interface Devices" as an "HID-compliant device" and a "USB Input Device", neither of which (I believe) are pertinent to this discussion.
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
22-02-2020, 09:18 AM
(21-02-2020, 05:21 PM)RobinHood2020 For a moment, the phone shows up under "Ports (COM & LPT)" as a "MediaTek PreLoader USB VCOM (Android) (COM3)" before disconnecting and reconnecting. It then shows up under "Human Interface Devices" as an "HID-compliant device" and a "USB Input Device", neither of which (I believe) are pertinent to this discussion.

update whatever it finally gets detected to mtk preloader vcom using the guide @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-16839.html
RobinHood2020
RobinHood2020
RobinHood2020
Enthusiastic Member
23-02-2020, 01:13 AM
...well... crap.

When I try to install any of the .INF files in Device Manager for the VCOM device, I get an error message saying, "The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems."
xerxes
xerxes
xerxes
23-02-2020, 12:21 PM
(23-02-2020, 01:13 AM)RobinHood2020 ...well... crap.

When I try to install any of the .INF files in Device Manager for the VCOM device, I get an error message saying, "The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems."
attach the screenshot of the error.
RobinHood2020
RobinHood2020
RobinHood2020
Enthusiastic Member
23-02-2020, 10:11 PM
Welp, upon retracing my steps to reproduce the error, I actually ran into a different error -- the one where the driver was not digitally signed. So, I followed the steps to disable driver signing enforcement, updated the driver, and tried the readback process again...

...but I'm still not having any luck. The process just sits there.
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
24-02-2020, 09:10 AM

(23-02-2020, 01:13 AM)RobinHood2020 ...well... crap.

first uninstall the driver your phone gets detected as (right click > uninstall), it should get detected as unknown (if you don;t find it anywhere, then reconnect the phone to the same USB port on the pc) then you can update it to vcom preloader driver