Hovatek Forum DEVELOPMENT Android Can a rooted ROM be made the following way:
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

Can a rooted ROM be made the following way:

Can a rooted ROM be made the following way:

Pages (2): 1 2 Next
Razor180
Razor180
Razor180
20-11-2019, 11:19 PM

If one is already aware that the particular rom he's working on has a boot image that is signed which is either v1 or v2 verity . 
Using magisk and I patch the boot image and rename it to boot.img and I use hovatek twrp Porter I patch stock recovery.

(Note that the boot and recovery images are taken directly from the rom and modified/patched.)

Next if I merely replace these files via drop and drag and overwrite these files the original rom will this = correctly rooted and twrp ready android OS.

Reason for asking is I have been reading some posts that twrp failed to install even after rooting due the person having set fingerprint and pin lock alreaddy.
Which led to believe that if i had factory reset the device and then installed the same twrp recovery that initially failed should now work.
Therefore patched boot and recovery image files that used to replace stock ones should work if one wipes and install from scratch.
Unless checksum.INI file causes failure to load in sp flash tool.
So after replacing patched boot and recovery images and deleting checksum file = rooted with twrp custom recovery android OS?
This post was last modified: 22-11-2019, 08:27 PM by Razor180.
Razor180
Razor180
Razor180
20-11-2019, 11:29 PM
I suppose before doing this I should learn how to safely and correctly backup NVRAM to preserve IMEI. Which I should have learnt first but then I avoided full format on sp flash and stuck with other two methods.
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
21-11-2019, 12:05 PM
(20-11-2019, 11:19 PM)Razor180 If one is already aware that the particular rom he's working has a boot image that is signed which is either v1 or v2 verity . 
Using magisk and I patch the boot image and rename it to boot.img and I use hovatek twrp Porter I patch stock recovery.
Note that the boot and recovery are taken directly from the rom and modified/patched.
Next if I merely replace these files via drop and overwrite on windows will this = correctly rooted and twrp ready android OS.

i take it you mean to replace the files within stock firmware? if yes, then yes you'll get TWRP and root if you flash everything. this is assuming the twrp already works fine on your device

(20-11-2019, 11:19 PM)Razor180 ...Reason for asking is I have been reading some posts that twrp failed to install even after rooting due the person having set fingerprint and pin lock already.
Which led to believe that if i had factory reset the device and then installed the same twrp recovery that initially failed should now work.

not sure where you read this, but fingerprint and pattern locks dont affect whether twrp boots or not
you should read the important notice @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-21839.html ; specifically the 1st, 3rd and 4th hints
This post was last modified: 21-11-2019, 12:08 PM by X3non.
Razor180
Razor180
Razor180
21-11-2019, 02:06 PM
Just in case others are following this thread....

To create a rooted Android OS
1. I had original os on my SD card, used Zarchiver to unzip boot.img onto my phone SD card.
2. Installed magisk and navigated to above mentioned boot img file and patched it.
3. Newly patched boot image file by magisk will be called "magisk_patched.img"
4.Transferred this magisk patched file to PC, after making new folder (name it whatever you like), after dropping files to this folder.
5. Renamed "magisk_patched.img" to "boot.img"
6. Copy this renamed file (boot.img) to the folder where you have extracted your OS you wish patch. Merely copy and replace files.

Now you have a rooted OS ready to install.

Possible issues after loading in SP Flash Tool:
1. Checksum ini file error, since you altered the boot.img you must either alter the checksum file to match new boot.img file which I know not how to do, I deleted the checksum file forcing SP Flash Tool to ignore this final check.

Result : After install phone is rooted.
Razor180
Razor180
Razor180
21-11-2019, 04:35 PM

To other newbies like me in SP FLASH TOOL when installing a official rom from your phone manufacturer I recommend using firmware upgrade option. Use this option also when flashing your new official rom patched to gain ROOT after following the procedure mentioned above.

Never use format all + download as it can remove imei number.

Download only option is used when either flashing recovery image or boot image. Or both, in my experience imei number never had issues.
This post was last modified: 21-11-2019, 05:13 PM by Razor180.
Attached Files
.jpg
Screenshot_2019-11-21_174504.jpg
Size: 141.24 KB / Downloads: 4
.jpg
Screenshot_2019-11-21_174721.jpg
Size: 201.29 KB / Downloads: 4
Razor180
Razor180
Razor180
21-11-2019, 10:48 PM
(21-11-2019, 12:05 PM)X3non
(20-11-2019, 11:19 PM)Razor180 If one is already aware that the particular rom he's working has a boot image that is signed which is either v1 or v2 verity . 
Note that the boot and recovery are taken directly from the rom and modified/patched.
Next if I merely replace these files via drop and overwrite on windows will this = correctly rooted and twrp ready android OS.

i take it you mean to replace the files within stock firmware? if yes, then yes you'll get TWRP and root if you flash everything. this is assuming the twrp already works fine on your device

not sure where you read this, but fingerprint and pattern locks dont affect whether twrp boots or not
you should read the important notice @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-21839.html ; specifically the 1st, 3rd and 4th hints

Read that or misread that on same link when browsing forum but I clearly missed the tip that boot.img was be patched first before flashing recovery. This may be why twrp failed to flash. 

Thank  you for your assistance.
This post was last modified: 22-11-2019, 10:23 AM by X3non.
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
23-11-2019, 12:05 PM
(21-11-2019, 02:06 PM)Razor180 Just in case others are following this thread....

To create a rooted Android OS
1. I had original os on my SD card, used Zarchiver to unzip boot.img onto my phone SD card.
2. Installed magisk and navigated to above mentioned boot img file and patched it.
3. Newly patched boot image file by magisk will be called "magisk_patched.img"
4.Transferred this magisk patched file to PC, after making new folder (name it whatever you like), after dropping files to this folder.
5. Renamed "magisk_patched.img" to "boot.img"
6. Copy this renamed file (boot.img) to the folder where you have extracted your OS you wish patch. Merely copy and replace files.

Now you have a rooted OS ready to install.

Possible issues after loading in SP Flash Tool:
1. Checksum ini file error, since you altered the boot.img you must either alter the checksum file to match new boot.img file which I know not how to do, I deleted the checksum file forcing SP Flash Tool to ignore this final check.

Result : After install phone is rooted.

You could just flash the patched boot alone (scatter file + boot.img) instead of flashing the entire firmware which is taking unnecessary risks

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
23-11-2019, 12:07 PM
(20-11-2019, 11:19 PM)Razor180 If one is already aware that the particular rom he's working on has a boot image that is signed which is either v1 or v2 verity . 

(Note that the boot and recovery images are taken directly from the rom and modified/patched.)

Next if I merely replace these files via drop and drag and overwrite these files the original rom will this = correctly rooted and twrp ready android OS.

Reason for asking is I have been reading some posts that twrp failed to install even after rooting due the person having set fingerprint and pin lock alreaddy.
Therefore patched boot and recovery image files that used to replace stock ones should work if one wipes and install from scratch.
Unless checksum.INI file causes failure to load in sp flash tool.
So after replacing patched boot and recovery images and deleting checksum file = rooted with twrp custom recovery android OS?

Technically speaking; Yes, you would have a rooted rom with TWRP .
This is assuming the TWRP and patched boot are compatible..and that the device allows you flash modified files via SP flash tool

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
23-11-2019, 12:09 PM
(21-11-2019, 04:35 PM)Razor180 To other newbies like me in SP FLASH TOOL when installing a official rom from your phone manufacturer I recommend using firmware upgrade option. Use this option also when flashing your new official rom patched to gain ROOT after following the procedure mentioned above.

Never use format all + download as it can remove imei number.

Download only option is used when either flashing recovery image or boot image. Or both, in my experience imei number never had issues.

Its best to use Download only even when flashing full firmware or upgrade over Firmware Upgrade or Format + Download. You'll run into trouble on Secure Boot devices with Firmware Upgrade or Format + Download

Note!
Razor180
Razor180
Razor180
23-11-2019, 06:44 PM

@ Hovatek admin, thank you for informing me. That would mean that sudden loss of internal space.....by this I mean after flashing Os, android system suddenly occupies double space on internal storage. Situation occurs when using custom rom to flash over manufacturers OS
Pages (2): 1 2 Next