Hovatek Forum MOBILE Android [Please help] What is SP Flash tool and how do I use it?
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

[Please help] What is SP Flash tool and how do I use it?

[Please help] What is SP Flash tool and how do I use it?

David Ahmed
David Ahmed
David Ahmed
Enthusiastic Member
14-11-2019, 09:19 AM

I would much appreciate some insights on what SP Flash tool is and how to use it.
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
14-11-2019, 09:30 AM

About SP Flash Tool

Smart Phone Flash tool (SP Flash tool) was developed by Mediatek Inc. Its a tool for flashing and dumping (backing up) Mediatek (MTK) devices. It will only work on Mediatek devices (smartphones, tablets, smartwatches, GPS etc).

How to flash using SP Flash tool

SP Flash tool requires a scatter file (.txt) and the firmware (or at least one file) you wish to flash. For ease, its best to have the scatter file and file(s) to be flashed in the same folder. After loading the scatter file, the files to be flashed should be automatically loaded. Once SP flash is set to flash, you simply power off and connect the device to the PC via a USB cable. You mostly don't need to hold any button on the device to get into Flash Mode.
Here's a detailed guide on how to use SP Flash tool

How to Backup firmware using SP Flash tool

You could choose to dump firmware using SP flash tool only or dump using SP Flash tool + Wwr. I would recommend the latter because you can start with nothing but the phone and tools. The former requires you to have a scatter file for that device model.

Formatting using SP Flash tool

Formatting is used to fix extreme software issues or force-flash in SP Flash tool; however, its a flash option I suggest you rarely use. The reason is that you could end up with dead boot, null IMEI or sensor issues. In addition to this, formatting a Secure Boot device will make it request an Authentication (auth) file for subsequent flashes.

SP Flash tool; DA / Auth files and Secure Boot devices

Secure Boot is one security features more Mediatek devices are adopting. Flashing such devices requires a unique Download Agent (DA) file, maybe an auth file and factory / signed firmware. Flashing a backup (made from another device of the same model) tends to brick Secure Boot devices.
DA, Auth. and Factory / Signed firmware are sourced from the device manufacturer. We have a collection here so check for your model.

Fixing SP Flash tool errors

If you use SP Flash tool enough times, you're bound to encounter some error message. We have a list of SP Flash tool errors + solutions to help you out.
This post was last modified: 14-11-2019, 12:23 PM by hovatek.

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.