Hovatek Forum MOBILE Android Sp Multiport Flash Tool Bricking phone
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

Sp Multiport Flash Tool Bricking phone

Sp Multiport Flash Tool Bricking phone

rbk
rbk
rbk
Enthusiastic Member
25-09-2019, 04:33 PM

I'm working with two different devices. Both are Mediatek custom devices (MT6737M and MT6737) running Android 6. 

I'm able to flash over a whole ROM with SPMFT to several devices at one time however what I'm attempting ( and failing) to do is only flash over the boot and recovery images. 

NOTE: I have devices 1-5. I made a copy of device #1's ROM just in case. 

In my first attempt I took only the boot and recovery image and put them in a folder along with the scatter file. I modified the scatter file so that only the boot and recovery img had "is_download: true". After flashing with SPMFT I got a "DL ERROR" and the devices were then hard bricked. I tried to flash over the boot and recovery one at a time via SP Flash Tool but recieved a "BROM ERROR : S_FT_ENABLE_DRAM_FAIL (4032)" I followed all instructions listed here: https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-439.html however the error did not go away. Please not this device does NOT have volume buttons. The only thing that did work was I attempted to flash over a ROM from device #1 with SP Flash Tool. It took 4 hours but was successful in unbricking the device. However when I did that same to device #2 the device started but the screen did not work. I'm currently flashing over device #1's ROM to device 3. 

In the mean time I did  another experiment:

On similar devices I did that same as above but instead of only putting the boot and recovery images in there I included the whole ROM dump but still modified the scatter file so that only boot and recovery had "is_download: true". The same problem happened. Only when I tried to boot up the second device after the full ROM flash with SP Flash tool it was still bricked. 

1. Is there any way to unbrick the devices that are bricked?

2. How can I use Multiport Flash Tool to flash over just the boot and recovery to multiple devices without bricking them? 

UPDATE: Device #3 was successful and boots up with the screen working and everything. So I think I found a way to unbrick them. Still need help with flashing just those two partitions with the Multiport tool. If that is even possible. 
This post was last modified: 25-09-2019, 05:39 PM by rbk. Edit Reason: Update
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
26-09-2019, 10:32 AM
(25-09-2019, 04:33 PM)rbk ...
UPDATE: Device #3 was successful and boots up with the screen working and everything. So I think I found a way to unbrick them. Still need help with flashing just those two partitions with the Multiport tool. If that is even possible. 

SPMDT does not have "download only" feature, it'll likely format everything from all devices then attempted to flash only boot & recovery which results to dead phone. SPMDT was not designed for what you're trying to achieve rather it was made for flashing full firmware over several devices (assuming they're all same build / variants)

you might want to try software download tool instead, it has download only feature and should support flashing over multiple devices; see https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-23709.html (no guarantees it'll work as expected though)
This post was last modified: 26-09-2019, 10:36 AM by X3non.
rbk
rbk
rbk
Enthusiastic Member
26-09-2019, 09:25 PM
(26-09-2019, 10:32 AM)X3non
(25-09-2019, 04:33 PM)rbk ...

SPMDT does not have "download only" feature, it'll likely format everything from all devices then attempted to flash only boot & recovery which results to dead phone. SPMDT was not designed for what you're trying to achieve rather it was made for flashing full firmware over several devices (assuming they're all same build / variants)

you might want to try software download tool instead, it has download only feature and should support flashing over multiple devices; see https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-23709.html (no guarantees it'll work as expected though)
Thank you so much for the quick response! It didn't work as I had hoped but it's not a big deal. SP Flash is fast enough for what I need and will have to do.