Hovatek Forum HARDWARE Repairs [Please help] Laptop shuts down after running on charger
Try our Online TWRP Builder..its free!
Can't login? Please, reset your password.

[Please help] Laptop shuts down after running on charger

[Please help] Laptop shuts down after running on charger

codyseth
codyseth
codyseth
Techie Member
02-02-2017, 01:02 AM

I dont have the battery of this Hp 650 laptop and it shuts down randomly after running for a while on the charger.I have done all temperature fixes including thermal compound replacement which im pretty good at and monitored the temps afterwards and its running great 35°c on idle.I checked the chargers voltage and its a perfect 19.5v and the fan works flawlessly. The power jack is not loose so im out of ideas now...oh and the charger is in an open area
Please help
Hp 650
Windows 7 ultimate 64
2gb ram
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
02-02-2017, 05:56 PM
(02-02-2017, 01:02 AM)codyseth I dont have the battery of this Hp 650 laptop and it shuts down randomly after running for a while on the charger.I have done all temperature fixes including thermal compound replacement which im pretty good at and monitored the temps afterwards and its running great 35°c on idle.I checked the chargers voltage and its a perfect 19.5v and the fan works flawlessly. The power jack is not loose so im out of ideas now...oh and the charger is in an open area
Please help
Hp 650
Windows 7 ultimate 64
2gb ram

Everything seems to be working fine.
* did you verified that there isn't a program auto shutting the PC down randomly?
* does the PC shutdown while in idle mode OR while you're running heavy SWs?
* Is that an original HP charger? ..Have you tried an 18v charger?
BTW you should really consider getting the battery cos the random shutting down would tell on your HDD later.
codyseth
codyseth
codyseth
Techie Member
02-02-2017, 11:17 PM
(02-02-2017, 01:02 AM)codyseth I dont have the battery of this Hp 650 laptop and it shuts down randomly after running for a while on the charger.I have done all temperature fixes including thermal compound replacement which im pretty good at and monitored the temps afterwards and its running great 35°c on idle.I checked the chargers voltage and its a perfect 19.5v and the fan works flawlessly. The power jack is not loose so im out of ideas now...oh and the charger is in an open area
Please help
Hp 650
Windows 7 ultimate 64
2gb ram

Wow thanks for replying i was actually to scared to use the 18.5v charger because on hp website it says to use the 19.5v charger.As for the programmes auto shutdown i basically did a fresh install of windows 7 so only things i have is hw monitor and speccy and a partition recovery software.
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
04-02-2017, 06:14 PM
(02-02-2017, 11:17 PM)codyseth Wow thanks for replying i was actually to scared to use the 18.5v charger because on hp website it says to use the 19.5v charger.As for the programmes auto shutdown i basically did a fresh install of windows 7 so only things i have is hw monitor and speccy and a partition recovery software.

my PC uses a 19.5v charger as well, the only difference when i use an 18v charger is that the battery won't charge but the PC would power on and work properly.
so you can as well try the 18v charger.
then you'll need to get a battery to verify that this tripping off issue doesn't persist while using battery.