Hovatek Forum DESKTOP Windows How can I partition my hard drive
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

How can I partition my hard drive

How can I partition my hard drive

Pages (2): 1 2 Next
articlew
articlew
articlew
Techie Member
10-01-2017, 04:04 PM

Hi, I have to format my pc but do not want to loose my installed softwares, so I was told to partition the drive before formatting. I don`t know how to do this. Can you kindly guide please. Also, if I was able to do that. Will my files be save? Thanks
proftech1
proftech1
proftech1
Techie Member
10-01-2017, 04:51 PM
No way to save installed software if u want to format your computer, even partitioning won't do that. It only creates an extra space for you to save files and software installers. However u have to make sure u don't intend to format the partition with the saved files or they will all be gone. May you should consider repairing the system, that for sure will retain your programs

Sent from my Infinix HOT 4[NDA] using Hovatek mobile
jospah prezz
jospah prezz
jospah prezz
Banned
10-01-2017, 04:51 PM
If you have enough space go to disk management and shrink volume

Sent from my TECNO W4 using Hovatek mobile
jospah prezz
jospah prezz
jospah prezz
Banned
10-01-2017, 04:52 PM
But you won't be able to backup an installed software only files

Sent from my TECNO W4 using Hovatek mobile
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
10-01-2017, 09:50 PM

(10-01-2017, 04:04 PM)articlew Hi, I have to format my pc but do not want to loose my installed softwares, so I was told to partition the drive before formatting. I don`t know how to do this. Can you kindly guide please. Also, if I was able to do that. Will my files be save? Thanks

I don't know if you fully understand what you're trying to do.
To partition,see https://www.hovatek.com/blog/how-to-part...n-windows/
You can't format a partition and still retain whats on it (without copying elsewhere) .
Copying doesn't backup installed software, only files.
If you must retain installed software then you would need to clone the Windows image
It would be great if you could breakdown what you're trying to achieve
This post was last modified: 10-01-2017, 10:07 PM by hovatek.

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
articlew
articlew
articlew
Techie Member
10-01-2017, 11:39 PM
(10-01-2017, 09:50 PM)hovatek
(10-01-2017, 04:04 PM)Hi, thanks for your reply. What I want to acheive is that I don`t want to lose all my files and installed softwares after formatting. How do I acheive that sir Hi, I have to format my pc but do not want to loose my installed softwares, so I was told to partition the drive before formatting. I don`t know how to do this. Can you kindly guide please. Also, if I was able to do that. Will my files be save? Thanks

I don't know if you fully understand what you're trying to do.
To partition,see https://www.hovatek.com/blog/how-to-part...n-windows/
You can't format a partition and still retain whats on it (without copying elsewhere) .
Copying doesn't backup installed software, only files.
If you must retain installed software then you would need to clone the Windows image
It would be great if you could breakdown what you're trying to achieve
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
11-01-2017, 11:04 AM
(10-01-2017, 11:39 PM)articlew Hi, thanks for your reply. What I want to acheive is that I don`t want to lose all my files and installed softwares after formatting. How do I acheive that sir

There's no escaping re-installing software, unless you wish to clone your existing Windows installation to another Hard Disk (which defeats the purpose of formatting assuming you're formatting to fix a software and not hard disk issue).
If you MUST format, what you can do is to backup all your files and software installers (.exe) first to another storage device.
At this point, I think I need to ask what's wrong with your PC and why you wish to format
This post was last modified: 11-01-2017, 11:09 AM by hovatek.

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
articlew
articlew
articlew
Techie Member
11-01-2017, 11:56 AM
What's wrong is that the PC is not giving sound whenever I play any audio files. I gave it to someone to change the speaker. it was changed but couldn't give sound, the drive was changed too but still same. So I was told that the speaker and drive are not faulty, that I should format it then it will give sound.

(11-01-2017, 11:04 AM)hovatek
(10-01-2017, 11:39 PM)articlew Hi, thanks for your reply. What I want to acheive is that I don`t want to lose all my files and installed softwares after formatting. How do I acheive that sir

There's no escaping re-installing software, unless you wish to clone your existing Windows installation to another Hard Disk (which defeats the purpose of formatting assuming you're formatting to fix a software and not hard disk issue).
If you MUST format, what you can do is to backup all your files and software installers (.exe) first to another storage device.
At this point, I think I need to ask what's wrong with your PC and why you wish to format
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
11-01-2017, 04:53 PM
(11-01-2017, 11:56 AM)articlew What's wrong is that the PC is not giving sound whenever I play any audio files. I gave it to someone to change the speaker. it was changed but couldn't give sound, the drive was changed too but still same. So I was told that the speaker and drive are not faulty, that I should format it then it will give sound.

I don't think formatting will help in this situation. What you need to do is download and install Audio drivers for your PC model

Note!
articlew
articlew
articlew
Techie Member
12-01-2017, 10:40 AM

Thanks I use Hp635, do you have a direct link to audio driver
(11-01-2017, 04:53 PM)hovatek
(11-01-2017, 11:56 AM)articlew What's wrong is that the PC is not giving sound whenever I play any audio files. I gave it to someone to change the speaker. it was changed but couldn't give sound, the drive was changed too but still same. So I was told that the speaker and drive are not faulty, that I should format it then it will give sound.

I don't think formatting will help in this situation. What you need to do is download and install Audio drivers for your PC model
Pages (2): 1 2 Next