Hovatek Forum MOBILE Android [Please help] Restore backup (TWRP, CWM, Stock recovery backup) possible without custom recovery
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

[Please help] Restore backup (TWRP, CWM, Stock recovery backup) possible without custom recovery

[Please help] Restore backup (TWRP, CWM, Stock recovery backup) possible without custom recovery

blacksun
blacksun
blacksun
Enthusiastic Member
03-10-2021, 05:37 PM

Hello,

CWM-Recovery stopped development in 2016, so now, today there exists only TWRP for custom recovery, right?

I have an "Ulefone S8 pro" with android 7.0 (Note that there exists also a Ulefone S8, without "pro"). It is based on the chip MTK 6737.
For this device, TWRP is not supported officially.
I found some recovery.img which should contain TWRP. I installed these custom recovery images via fastboot, but all of them result in a permanent bootloop after flashing. I also found a Tool called "Ulefone S8 pro toolkit" which should automize the integration of TWRP. The result is the same --> bootloops after flashing.

Now, I have made a backup of userdata via Stock recovery backup.
With an tool mentioned in another thread here, it is perhaps possible to convert a Stock recovery backup to a CWM/TWRP backup.

Is is possible to restore a backup without using recovery-mode (restore in stock rom recovery do not work, CWM/TWRP is not available for my device)?

Please help.

Thanks.
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
04-10-2021, 09:24 AM
(03-10-2021, 05:37 PM)blacksun For this device, TWRP is not supported officially.

did you try the tool @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-21839.html ?

(03-10-2021, 05:01 PM)blacksun ...
I have an Ulefone S8 pro with Android 7.0. In these times, Ulefone used stockROMs on their phones.
I have made a backup within the original recovery.
Now I have the problem to restore this backup to the phone.

use stock recovery to restore the backup

(03-10-2021, 05:01 PM)blacksun Is it still possible to merge all backup-files to one big one,

CAT command in linux or cygwin (windows); see an explanation @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-268...#pid170410

(03-10-2021, 05:01 PM)blacksun and then use this tool to convert the userdata.img to a cwm-Backupfile?

you'd have to try it out yourself to find out

(03-10-2021, 05:01 PM)blacksun Does the tool can handle backup-files made with Android 7.0?

if the device has encrypted userdata then no, no tool works with encrypted userdata

[quote="blacksun" pid='219651' dateline='1633276885']
Is is possible to restore a backup without using recovery-mode (restore in stock rom recovery do not work, CWM/TWRP is not available for my device)?

the backup your made can't be restored using any tool other than the same stock recovery
also you can't just restore userdata backup to any OS, encrypted data requires at least the same system and metadata partitions as it was before the backup
kelvinchinedu
kelvinchinedu
kelvinchinedu
Contributor
06-10-2021, 08:15 PM
It depend on how u make the backup,if the backup was carried out by TWRP it is not possible
blacksun
blacksun
blacksun
Enthusiastic Member
08-10-2021, 11:45 PM
(04-10-2021, 09:24 AM)X3non did you try the tool @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-21839.html ?

wow, a very pretty tool.
now I could make a working recovery with TWRP 3.2.1

But with this TWRP, I have problems:

- I cannot format partitions or wipe partitions --> failed to mount /system, /data, /cache, /protect_f, /protect_s, /nvdata (invalid agument)
- install zip-files --> failed to mount /system, /data, /cache, /protect_f, /protect_s, /nvdata (invalid agument)
- mount --> I cannot select partitions to Mount

Do you know how I can get these things working?

(04-10-2021, 09:24 AM)X3non use stock recovery to restore the backup

I flashed the original backup with sp flashtool, but using Recovery-function in Android system recovery in stockROM says "the backup file is out of date please rebackup your data"

(04-10-2021, 09:24 AM)X3non ...metadata partitions as it was before the backup

which *.img file contains the metadata-partition?
In SP flashtool, the stockROM have these img-files: preloader, lk, boot, recovery, logo, secro, tee1, tee2, system, cache and userdata
Which one do I have to reflash for metadata-partition?
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
09-10-2021, 11:49 AM

(08-10-2021, 11:45 PM)blacksun ..

If the backup you have was made with stock recovery then you can only restore with stock recovery. In fact, flashing a different stock recovery could hinder the restore process.
As for the TWRP, you'll need to modify the fstab . Upload both stock and and ported TWRP

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
blacksun
blacksun
blacksun
Enthusiastic Member
09-10-2021, 02:02 PM
(09-10-2021, 11:49 AM)hovatek If the backup you have was made with stock recovery then you can only restore with stock recovery. In fact, flashing a different stock recovery could hinder the restore process.

For the ulefone S8 pro, there are only released 5 different stockROMS from Ulefone.
so one of them have to be the rom used when making the backup.
I have downloaded all of them and flashed it via sp flashtool.
but with each of them, trying to restore in the each of them, the restore failed with ""the backup file is out of date please rebackup your data"

What can I do?
Please help.
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
11-10-2021, 09:46 AM
(09-10-2021, 02:02 PM)blacksun For the ulefone S8 pro, there are only released 5 different stockROMS from Ulefone.
so one of them have to be the rom used when making the backup.
I have downloaded all of them and flashed it via sp flashtool.
but with each of them, trying to restore in the each of them, the restore failed with ""the backup file is out of date please rebackup your data"

What can I do?
Please help.

This doesn't mean your phone was one of those builds as at when you made the backup.
Stock recovery backups are very unreliable anyway. Unless you revert to that exact build as at when you made the backup, that backup is useless

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
blacksun
blacksun
blacksun
Enthusiastic Member
11-10-2021, 10:42 AM
(11-10-2021, 09:46 AM)hovatek This doesn't mean your phone was one of those builds as at when you made the backup.

Would you please be so kindly to explain this in more details?
How could it be that I have a build which was never released by manufacture?

Is there a possibility to find out with the backupfiles which build was used to create the backup?
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
11-10-2021, 12:20 PM
(11-10-2021, 10:42 AM)blacksun Would you please be so kindly to explain this in more details?
How could it be that I have a build which was never released by manufacture?

1.) You need to understand more about build numbers ; see https://www.hovatek.com/blog/your-phone-...verything/
2.) Very possible that they didn't publicly release all firmware builds. Just strategic builds users will need to fix a brick

(11-10-2021, 10:42 AM)blacksun Is there a possibility to find out with the backupfiles which build was used to create the backup?

At this point, no seeing as you might have flashed stock firmware to fix the initial bootloop and your backup only contains userdata (can't retrieve build number from userdata)
This post was last modified: 13-10-2021, 11:02 AM by hovatek.