Hovatek Forum MOBILE Android How to get Android (system) file's Begin Address
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

How to get Android (system) file's Begin Address

How to get Android (system) file's Begin Address

Melvin Lunder
Melvin Lunder
Melvin Lunder
23-02-2021, 03:40 PM

Hello, everyone. I would like to flash system files using sp flash tool.
For example, I would like to rewrite /system/build.prop.
To do this task, you know, I need to know the file's Begin Address in hex form.
Please, teach me how to get this address. Thanks.
(P.S: I have already backup system as .img file)
This post was last modified: 23-02-2021, 04:09 PM by Melvin Lunder.
Attached Files
.png
2021-02-23.png
Size: 13.6 KB / Downloads: 14
Melvin Lunder
Melvin Lunder
Melvin Lunder
23-02-2021, 04:24 PM
Hello, everyone. I would like to know how to get Android system files' Begin Address.
For example, I want to rewrite /system/build.prop file with a file on my pc, using SP Flash Tool (Write Memory feature).
https://www.hovatek.com/forum/attachment.php?aid=8847
To do this task, I have to know its "Begin Address" in hex form. Please teach me how to get this address.
(I have already backup system as *.img file(optimized) and can find it's address but I know this is not the address I need.)
Thanks for your care.

(P.S: My Chip model is MT6765 but I would like to know general methods to get address, not depends on chips.)
This post was last modified: 23-02-2021, 04:29 PM by Melvin Lunder.
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
23-02-2021, 07:45 PM
(23-02-2021, 03:40 PM)Melvin Lunder Hello, everyone. I would like to flash system files using sp flash tool.
For example, I would like to rewrite /system/build.prop.
To do this task, you know, I need to know the file's Begin Address in hex form.
Please, teach me how to get this address. Thanks.
(P.S: I have already backup system as .img file)

in your screenshot, what you are trying to do will most likely not work
instead root your device and replace the file using a root file manager OR use twrp's file manager OR build a full system.img with the modified build.prop then flash the system.img

but to answer your question, simply make a firmware backup of your device, the scatter file you get will tell you the start addr of every partition ; see https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-21970.html
or you could simply readback pgpt then load into wwr and get the start addr without needing to make a full firmware backup
Melvin Lunder
Melvin Lunder
Melvin Lunder
24-02-2021, 05:04 AM
Really thanks for your reply, @X3non.
Of course, root my phone and rewrite a file, that's the best and simple way.
But actually I have some issues with rooting the phone, caused by internet connection I think.
Anyway I would like to use SP Flash Tools' Write Memory feature.
I have DA, Scatter, preloader, system.img. I tried to change the system.img but it is optimized and not easy to modify some bytes.
I know the system block begin address from scatter file, I just need to know address of "A File In System block". Its last three figures are 0 like 0xBF203000.
Thanks for your attention.
X3non
X3non
X3non
Recognized Contributor
24-02-2021, 10:46 AM

(24-02-2021, 05:04 AM)Melvin Lunder ...
I know the system block begin address from scatter file, I just need to know address of "A File In System block". Its last three figures are 0 like 0xBF203000.
Thanks for your attention.

why don't you open system.img in hxd, open build.prop in hxd as well
search for lets say the first 5 hex contents of build.prop (use has something to do with "begin build properties") within system.img to find out the addr within system.img then do the calculation from the start addr in the scatter file to find the location of build.prop in memory

the thing is that if your build.prop is even one byte larger than the previous build.prop, you'll end up overwriting something within system.img and still end up with a brick. one byte small and you won't overwrite the entire existing build.prop , who knows what that might lead to