Hovatek Forum MOBILE Android Trouble backing up ROM on MT8163 with SPFT - BROM ERROR: S_DL_GET_DRAM_SETTING_FAIL
Can't login? Please, reset your password.
Hovatek is recruiting! Apply Now

Trouble backing up ROM on MT8163 with SPFT - BROM ERROR: S_DL_GET_DRAM_SETTING_FAIL

Trouble backing up ROM on MT8163 with SPFT - BROM ERROR: S_DL_GET_DRAM_SETTING_FAIL

Pages (2): 1 2 Next
legalpet
legalpet
legalpet
Enthusiastic Member
17-12-2020, 04:50 PM

I have an android managed device created by a company, for that company specifically. It's got a slimmed down version of android, and I cannot enable debugging, can't get online in any way, and pretty much can't do anything with it. It was meant to be used only with company kiosks. Anyways, it's pretty decent hardware and I'd like to use it. It's a tablet.

The tablet has a mediatek MT8163V chip. I generated a scatter file and followed all the steps found at this link:

https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-21970-page-15.html

However, I keep getting this error when I try Read Back with the SP Fash tool:

BROM ERROR: S_DL_GET_DRAM_SETTING_FAIL

It's as if the scatter file is incorrect. However, I generated the scatter file per the instructions in the link above, using WwR MTK version 2.51

Please help me out with some guidance as to what I can do. Thanks!
This post was last modified: 17-12-2020, 05:06 PM by legalpet.
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
18-12-2020, 05:52 AM
(17-12-2020, 04:50 PM)legalpet I have an android managed device created by a company, for that company specifically. It's got a slimmed down version of android, and I cannot enable debugging, can't get online in any way, and pretty much can't do anything with it. It was meant to be used only with company kiosks. Anyways, it's pretty decent hardware and I'd like to use it. It's a tablet.

The tablet has a mediatek MT8163V chip. I generated a scatter file and followed all the steps found at this link:

It's as if the scatter file is incorrect. However, I generated the scatter file per the instructions in the link above, using WwR MTK version 2.51

Download MT8163 scatter file @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-12724.html and try using it to readback recovery partition. Do Not attempt to flash with this scatter file, its generic

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
legalpet
legalpet
legalpet
Enthusiastic Member
18-12-2020, 03:07 PM
(18-12-2020, 05:52 AM)hovatek
(17-12-2020, 04:50 PM)legalpet I have an android managed device created by a company, for that company specifically. It's got a slimmed down version of android, and I cannot enable debugging, can't get online in any way, and pretty much can't do anything with it. It was meant to be used only with company kiosks. Anyways, it's pretty decent hardware and I'd like to use it. It's a tablet.

Download MT8163 scatter file @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-12724.html and try using it to readback recovery partition. Do Not attempt to flash with this scatter file, its generic

Hi! Thanks for your response. However, as I mentioned in the OP, I actually am using the scatter for readback already.

Specifically, I'm even using the scatter that you mentioned in your reply.

When doing readback is when I'm getting this error. Could it possibly be a driver issue? I doubt it because it seems to be talking to spflash fine... I'm just at a loss. Thanks though, any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I noticed the scatter file created using WwR has a different partition size for the preloader than the one you guys offer.

The one offered at the link you supplied has: partition_size: 0x40000

The one created by WwR has: partition_size: 0x80000

Is it possible that the partition size is off?? Could I try any other sizes that might work?
This post was last modified: 18-12-2020, 07:14 PM by legalpet.
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
19-12-2020, 03:26 PM
(18-12-2020, 03:07 PM)legalpet ..

Is it possible that the partition size is off?? Could I try any other sizes that might work?

I recommended that (generic) scatter file because the starting scatter wwr creates is just enough to dump preloader and PGPT.
This is why I asked you to attempt to readback ONLY recovery using the generic scatter file. Most (if not all) partitions will have different addresses but targeting recovery can help you discover the device's build number and search for a firmware online.
Share a full screenshot of SP flash tool when you get that error message. Use the wwr scatter file (for preloader dump) and generic scatter file for recovery dump)
This post was last modified: 19-12-2020, 03:28 PM by hovatek.

Note!
We have a reply schedule for Free Support. Please upgrade to Private Support if you can't wait.
legalpet
legalpet
legalpet
Enthusiastic Member
21-12-2020, 04:14 PM

(19-12-2020, 03:26 PM)hovatek
(18-12-2020, 03:07 PM)legalpet ..

I recommended that (generic) scatter file because the starting scatter wwr creates is just enough to dump preloader and PGPT.
This is why I asked you to attempt to readback ONLY recovery using the generic scatter file. Most (if not all) partitions will have different addresses but targeting recovery can help you discover the device's build number and search for a firmware online.
Share a full screenshot of SP flash tool when you get that error message. Use the wwr scatter file (for preloader dump) and generic scatter file for recovery dump)

First of all, thank you very much for your help.

I have taken screen-shots of what I’m doing. I broke the images down into Method #1 and Method #2.

Method #1 uses the method as you described, attempting to read-back only the recovery partition. I tried this method in two ways. One as is shown, with no recovery.img file. However, I also tried it with a TWRP recovery image file in the same directory as the scatter file, which gave the same error…

Method #2 uses the method described in your post explaining to read-back on the preloader partition, using the WwR scatter file.
As you can see, both methods give the same result.

Thanks again, any help/ideas are greatly appreciated.
This post was last modified: 21-12-2020, 04:31 PM by legalpet.
Attached Files
.png
Method1-Img1.png
Size: 89.37 KB / Downloads: 13
.png
Method1-Img2.PNG
Size: 126.81 KB / Downloads: 14
.png
Method1-Img3.PNG
Size: 56.4 KB / Downloads: 11
.png
Method1-Img4.PNG
Size: 81.45 KB / Downloads: 9
.png
Scatter-File.png
Size: 135.55 KB / Downloads: 13
.png
Method2-Img1.PNG
Size: 79.73 KB / Downloads: 10
.png
Method2-Img2.PNG
Size: 162.75 KB / Downloads: 9
.png
Method2-Img3.PNG
Size: 81.2 KB / Downloads: 9
.png
Method2-Img4.PNG
Size: 101.4 KB / Downloads: 9
.png
Scatter-WwR.PNG
Size: 74.37 KB / Downloads: 11
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
22-12-2020, 06:04 AM
(21-12-2020, 04:14 PM)legalpet First of all, thank you very much for your help.

I have taken screen-shots of what I’m doing. I broke the images down into Method #1 and Method #2.

Method #1 uses the method as you described, attempting to read-back only the recovery partition. I tried this method in two ways. One as is shown, with no recovery.img file. However, I also tried it with a TWRP recovery image file in the same directory as the scatter file, which gave the same error…

Method #2 uses the method described in your post explaining to read-back on the preloader partition, using the WwR scatter file.

Use Miracle Thunder v2.82 to dump your firmware in scatter format as explained @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-13347.html
Let me know how that goes

Note!
legalpet
legalpet
legalpet
Enthusiastic Member
22-12-2020, 03:24 PM
(22-12-2020, 06:04 AM)hovatek

Use Miracle Thunder v2.82 to dump your firmware in scatter format as explained @ https://www.hovatek.com/forum/thread-13347.html

Tried it with miracle box... It quickly said "Not Supported". I included a screen shot.

Could it be a driver issue?? I see a lot of posts saying to uninstall/reinstall drivers... But I already tried that, including disabling driver signature validation. Maybe I should try it on a different computer?? Or is that unlikely to help?

The android version is 8.1 oreo. Is it possible that the manufacturer built a secure boot chain that won't work with sp flash tool??

Thanks again.

EDIT: If I can pay you to troubleshoot this device and potentially come up with a solution, I'd be highly interested. If setting up something like this is possible, please notify me as to how we may arrange this. Thanks.
This post was last modified: 22-12-2020, 08:44 PM by legalpet.
Attached Files
.png
miraclebox-error.PNG
Size: 222.53 KB / Downloads: 8
hovatek
hovatek
hovatek
Administrator
23-12-2020, 07:17 AM
(22-12-2020, 03:24 PM)legalpet ..
EDIT: If I can pay you to troubleshoot this device and potentially come up with a solution, I'd be highly interested. If setting up something like this is possible, please notify me as to how we may arrange this. Thanks.

Yes, I can see that the boot (chipset) isn't supported in that version of Miracle Thunder but can't yet say for sure if its secure boot at play.
Book a session @ https://www.hovatek.com/remote/
This post was last modified: 23-12-2020, 07:17 AM by hovatek.

Note!
angeelgar
angeelgar
angeelgar
23-12-2020, 07:55 AM
(22-12-2020, 03:24 PM)legalpet
(22-12-2020, 06:04 AM)hovatek

Tried it with miracle box... It quickly said "Not Supported". I included a screen shot.

Could it be a driver issue?? I see a lot of posts saying to uninstall/reinstall drivers... But I already tried that, including disabling driver signature validation. Maybe I should try it on a different computer?? Or is that unlikely to help?

The android version is 8.1 oreo. Is it possible that the manufacturer built a secure boot chain that won't work with sp flash tool??

Thanks again.

Attached Files
.txt
MT8163_Android_scatter.txt
Size: 9.12 KB / Downloads: 15
legalpet
legalpet
legalpet
Enthusiastic Member
29-12-2020, 04:45 PM

@angeelgar I tried that scatter file. Same result. Thanks though.

@Hovatek. I found a version of miracle thunder (2.92) that supports up to mt8127... Still says not compatible. Which I suppose is to be expected, since mt8127 is an older generation. Oh well.
Pages (2): 1 2 Next